Wireless adapter works but not software??

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by pzlehr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. pzlehr

pzlehr

I have an old Gateway that I just got out to see if it works still (made on 2002). It works fine and I got the hardware for getting online to work. I put in my IP address, etc and it connects, it works...BUT when I try to get online it tries to connect. The little progress circle keeps spinning,etc but no connection. I searched around the networking, setting up a network, connection, etc. XP tells me that the software may be too old to connect. How and or where would I get the appropriate software to get it to work? Like I say, the machine is old, but works fine otherwise. Thanks for any help.

pzlehr, Feb 17, 2013
  2. pzlehr

Elizabeth23

go to start, right click on My computer and choose manage, click on device manager, then click on Network adaptor, right click and choose properties, get the manufacturer and version number, then get to a working pc and go to manufacturer's website and search for the latest update for your adaptor, download to a flash drive and install on the afflicted pc.

and if you have not used this since 2002, then you will probably need to download the service packs before you can use windows updates which will not work without sp3.

Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2013
  3. pzlehr

pzlehr

Gateway

I think I am out of luck with this. I went to Gateway and what's left of the site, told me that I had all the updated drivers for it. XP says it's working ok, which it is, you can see it. I have SP2, but I don't think I can get SP3 without getting online. My s/n for my laptop is even out of date. To talk to someone I need an 11 numerical s/n and mine is 10. It was made in 2001 or 2002 so I my just have a doorstop sad to say.

pzlehr, Feb 18, 2013
  4. pzlehr

gordie

connection

Try a live cd from ubuntu and see if thats give you a different driver then windows
    sometimes the driver changes.

Good luck

gordie, Feb 18, 2013
  5. pzlehr

Elizabeth23

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24
    Service pack 3 download

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129
    XP service pack 3 ISO image

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.
    You can edit out any personal information.

also expand components on the left hand side and the info under network paste also.

I can see if there is an update I can find.

or look in device manager under details for network adaptor for driver and version.

Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2013
Ask a Question