WineForXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Computer semi-expert, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Announcement: I have switched almost entirely to using Linux over the past several months. Along with that, when I have previously tried to compile Wine on Cygwin, I have not made much (if any) progress. Therefore, I am stepping back from the WineForXP project.

But, this does not mean the project has to end. I will be glad to assist anybody who wants to pick up the project. I am including some links below to webpages with information on compiling Wine on Windows.

If anybody does try to build this, I would recommend building Wine on Cygwin. Cygwin is a project that lets you run Linux programs on Windows and even can give you a Linux GUI. A similar project is MinGW.

Of course, if your computer is powerful enough, you could simply install VirtualBox, create a Linux virtual machine, and install Wine on the virtual machine. For this you probably should have at least 2 GB of RAM in your computer so both Windows and VirtualBox have enough memory to function. You also should have at least 10 GB of free hard drive space.

Computer semi-expert, Apr 25, 2020
  2. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

If you do want to work on this project, please let me know.

Computer semi-expert, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Computer semi-expert

lmemsm

How's the project going? I thought I read something on the Reactos forum about a Reactos fork involving WINE, so maybe some of what that project has done will be useful for this. I have X Windows compiled and working on Windows using MinGW (original 32 bit project). Would that be of any use for your project? The original post that got me started building X Windows on Windows was from the Wine site and the developer had been trying to get Wine working via X Windows.

lmemsm, May 4, 2020
  4. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

As I mentioned above, I've stepped back from the project, but your X on Windows sounds like a viable route. I'd be interested to see what you could do with that!

Computer semi-expert, May 4, 2020
Ask a Question