WindowsXP search times out

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Bubbly, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Bubbly

Bubbly

Using WindowsXP I click "start" followed by "search" followed by ""name" and date of "one day" The search glass retates for 3 seconds and stops. What to do?

Bubbly, Nov 13, 2015
  2. Bubbly

Elizabeth23

are you using the search companion??

it would seem that the search completed.

is the file hidden?? unhide files in Folder options and run the search again,, test your search on a known unhidden file.

search can be reinstalled without installing the entire os.

===============

ensure your system is clean run some scans, what is your current antivirus and what other scanners do you have installed.

Elizabeth23, Nov 13, 2015
  3. Bubbly

Bubbly

Response to your reply:

are you using the search companion?? === If search companion is search from start yes

it would seem that the search completed=== search may be completed but no documents are found

is the file hidden?? unhide files in Folder options and run the search again,, test your search on a known unhidden file.=== when I search I make sure hidden files are included. when I test search using an unhidden file the file is not identified

search can be reinstalled without installing the entire os.=== I downloaded and reinstalled the search file and still have the same problem

is the file hidden?? unhide files in Folder options and run the search again,, test your search on a known unhidden file.

search can be reinstalled without installing the entire os.

===============

ensure your system is clean run some scans, what is your current antivirus and what other scanners do you have installed.

Bubbly, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Bubbly

Elizabeth23

there is default search which I have never used I had changed my preference to using the search companion:

Click Start, click Search, and then click Change preferences.
    Click With an animated screen character or click Without an animated screen character to add or remove the animated screen character.
    ==========

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/b937a3e3-0df9-4175-bef1-4075f2a97dcb?auth=1

please read the above thread thoroughly

is your system clean?

what messages are in event viewer??

any error messages??

if you know where a file is can you find it without search??

and then does search find it??

you need to ensure pc is clean and then reinstall search and lets see what it does then.

Elizabeth23, Nov 16, 2015
Ask a Question