Windows7 TO XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by keysersoze1936, Aug 18, 2015.

1. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

OK, I have a 100% legal store bought XP home CD plus service pack 2&3 cds. For MY use, Win 7 is worse than (95 or 95B through 98 both versions and ME, and I have used them all.
    My old Dell GX620 desktop with XP, is MUCH faster and friendlier to work with than my laptop with Win 7 and have tried to work with 7 for over a year now..
    What problems could I run into converting my Compaq (410us) laptop from Windows 7( home) to Windows XP? I will/would not even consider Win 8 or 10!
    My wifes ipad is miles faster, but I am not interested in games, pictures.

Keysersoze

keysersoze1936, Aug 18, 2015
  2. keysersoze1936

eatup

Drivers. If you can obtain drivers for XP for your PC, then you're good to go.

Btw, I agree about Win 7 being worse than XP. It's the only reason I'm still using XP and why I'm on this forum. If Win7/8/10 are so good, I would have jumped ship long ago...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    eatup, Aug 18, 2015
  3. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

Thanx eatup. At other forums I have been told , no dice IF win 7 HOME is the pre-installed version. IF this should NOT workout, Compaq does not include a restore 7 CD with the laptop.
    Using search, there seem to be a number of websites that offer XP Drivers.
    Thanks again.

keysersoze1936, Aug 20, 2015
  4. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

Regarding MS7 to MSXP

Regarding MS7 to MSXP
    One more question. I need/want to Format my laptop. The laptop was purchased new with MS 7 on it. Will formating to MS 98 first then to MS XP home, be a cleaner shot? I'm 80 yrs old and tired of fighting "7".

keysersoze1936, Aug 21, 2015
  5. keysersoze1936

eatup

That would depend on the type of hard drive the laptop came with.

Back in the old XP days, hard drives were hard drives. Along came Windows 7 and the hard drive industry adopted a new format called Advanced Format (AF) hard drives.

Basically, this means that if you have an AF HDD, you would need to partition it first with Win7 and preferably format it there too, and then install XP on it. Otherwise, the XP installation wouldn't work...

Try looking up the serial number of the HDD under (Win7) device manager to tell if the HDD is AF or the regular XP-friendly type...

eatup, Aug 21, 2015
  6. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

7 to xp

HDD is brought up but I find nothing with AF OR SSD. The HDD is shown at 219 GB total with 179 GB free.
    It takes 5-8 minutes to log on about about the same to log off. Everything I can find tells me ()% problems) when doing, "Clean and defrag". I use Firefox(latest version) and Google.
    I have to many Windows updates at log on AND at log off. SO I just stopped all Window updates hopefully.
    I would like to send a list of suggestions I have had about 7 to XP, but am afraid it would be to big a load. I'll try all of them and if the laptop cannot be changed, So Be It. The Electronic dump gets it.
    My daughter, MBA, a three time transplant recipient herself and Transplant coordinator, works for a hospital and with the many hospitals she is in contact with, they also use XP. So I guess if we start dying, blame it on Microsoft!
    Thanks for your assistance, Eatup.

keysersoze1936, Aug 22, 2015
  7. keysersoze1936

eatup

No, what I meant was if you look up the HDD in device manager it should tell you the model (serial number) of the HDD. Windows device manger does not have the ability to directly tell you if an HDD is AF or is an SSD. From there we can search the web to see if that model is AF or not... Just to double check. Anyways, HDDs of capacities less than 320GB are usually not AF anways.

Btw, XP is not rubbish. I would trust a hospital that uses XP far more than one that was on Windows 7. I wouldn't trust Win7 to run mission critical operations such as in the healthcare sector.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    eatup, Aug 22, 2015
  8. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

7-2-xp

Got-cha Eatup. Will do the check and see what gives.
    Thanks again. I'm not in a big rush as I do have "old Faithful -XP" to use.
    Bill...........

keysersoze1936, Aug 24, 2015
  9. keysersoze1936

keysersoze1936

win7 2 XP

OK Eatup, Windows SEVEN is going to be my death, I'm sure now.
    I have been trying to get into the Bios now for not less than (4) four hours to check and /or change the boot sequence so that I can DUMP Win 7 and install a real OS (XP) on my Compaq laptop.
    Once I get through the F2 key and F12 key games, I am still unable to choose where I want to go to accomplish this. My only choice is to (Exit ) or (Shut Down).
    Either Win 7 or HP is insane to make this simple process a 4 or 5 hour JOB. My laptop is now frozen with this same email on the the screen.( I just push the on-off switch to shut down) when that happens with 7.)
    At this point even Windows 98 or ME would be great on the laptop.
    I am sure glad that you understand some of these Difficulties I am going through and put up with my lack of knowledge on Win 7 and up. It's just that I am too damn old to even keep up with technologies pace.
    You are a good friend, even though I do NOT belong to any social ? websites to claim so.
    Old Bill.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    keysersoze1936, Aug 27, 2015
  10. keysersoze1936

WMN1

Replace windoz7 with WindowsXP

1.) I have the XP restore (3 discs) for a Compaq Presario 5000 My guess is that its for 32 bit. I no longer have/own the CP5000..computer.
    I also have the Dell "Re-installation" CD for a Windows XP Pro. SP3 It does not include the drivers.

2.) I have a Compaq CQ61-410US laptop with Factory installed 64 bit (windoz 7). I just want to rid myself of windoz 7.

3.)QUESTION: Can I use the Windows XP Presario 5000 restore discs to replace the Windoz 7 on the Compaq CQ61-410US ? Depending on the replies may determine the disposal of the CQ61-410US laptop and how fast.

XP "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Bill Noyes

WMN1, Sep 12, 2015
  11. keysersoze1936

Elizabeth23

restore discs are NOT the same as an installation cd, they are made for a particular pc with a particular os.

if it is an oem install cd, then you can use it on the same brand oem. I would hunt for the drivers before I attempted this first,.

what exactly do the discs say?? is reinstall listed anywhere or just recovery??

Elizabeth23, Sep 12, 2015
Ask a Question