Windows XP x64 Edition Strange Boot Behavior

I have a Windows XP x64 Edition Laptop which exhibits strange booting behavior. When I log in, it will show the desktop and will freeze for about 5-10 seconds. Icons on the bottom right corner will start to come up, and the computer functions fine. The problem is that most of the time, the sound & battery icons will not show up. Is there any way I can stop this from happening? Just to be clear, both are set to appear in the taskbar at all times.

for startup you need to go to start/run/ type in msconfig, then go to startup and see what you have starting up after post, I have 2 items my antivirus , which makes my desktop very slow for two minutes, and my registry backup program Erunt, what may seem like freezing may be the number of items you have starting up.

the link below has some discussion

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/727264/xp-taskbar-icons-will-not-stay-up/

it leads to the archive of kelly's korner which you can click on choose n for notification area , download the reg file, save to desktop, double click and say yes
this will place the reg file in the registry and will hopefully correct the issue.

Back