Windows XP Won't Shut Down

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by nostalgiaunite, Jan 4, 2021.

1. nostalgiaunite

nostalgiaunite

I have a Compaq Presario 2700 laptop, and Windows XP Will not shut down. In Safe Mode, everything works correctly and the computer shuts down. Linux shuts down just fine, and so does the "Blue Screen" part of the XP installer, but when it finishes the GUI Part, it does not shut down. The mouse stops responding but no shut down, I have to manually do it. After that, everytime I go to shut it down, it does the same thing. Also, I don't know if it's related, but the System process continually uses 100% of my CPU too, in safe mode it only uses ~40%

nostalgiaunite, Jan 4, 2021
  2. nostalgiaunite

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 4, 2021
  3. nostalgiaunite

nostalgiaunite

OK, I realized that the System process is causing the trouble. When it is at 100% cpu, the system does not shut down, but in safe mode 40%, it does. It is a fresh install, no new drivers are installed by me. What could be the problem and how to fix the system 100% cpu issue?

nostalgiaunite, Jan 5, 2021
  4. nostalgiaunite

ClippyBeer

Some program you installed (probably antivirus) is causing the problem since it works in safe mode.
    Hit the Start button and click 'Run'. Type MSCONFIG in the box and hit enter.

Click the Startup tab.

[​IMG]

You untick the box to disable the problematic program and reboot. It's trial and error until you isolate the problem.

ClippyBeer, Jan 5, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  5. nostalgiaunite

Elizabeth23

one other note, Before any programs are installed all your drivers should be installed. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 5, 2021
  6. nostalgiaunite

nostalgiaunite

I just fixed it, it was a faulty startup entry that I believed loaded a bad driver. Thank you.

nostalgiaunite, Jan 6, 2021
  7. nostalgiaunite

Elizabeth23

great :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 7, 2021
Ask a Question