Windows XP - won't connect to wifi

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by JJuarez42699, Aug 3, 2015.

1. JJuarez42699

JJuarez42699

I've been trying to connect to my wireless network for a while, and nothing seems to be working. My modem's ethernet cable is connected to my computer, but internet explorer still gives me errors and won't load websites. So i tried to connect my computer to my internet wirelessly, and looked up some youtube tutorials, but it didn't help. Most tutorials told me to click on the "wireless network near" option, or to click on "witeless network conection" in the network connection page, but all that shows up there is the "local area connection". Can someone please walk me through how to conect my windows xp to my wifi?

JJuarez42699, Aug 3, 2015
  2. JJuarez42699

JJuarez42699

Just walk me through connecting it to my wifi and from there i'll let you know whether it works or not

JJuarez42699, Aug 3, 2015
  3. JJuarez42699

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Software and driver possibly. Most Wi-Fi is by Realtek but there are others.

I assume your modem/router has it's unique WEP number. Probably you have done this but look on the bottom for a WEP number/code.

Do you or did you have an install CD for your Wi-Fi pickup. These are usually a USB plug in type.

XP never supported Wi-Fi when it came out so all Wi-Fi for XP is third party. But, XP is very forgiving with regard to modern hardware.

I ran my old PC and XP with a Realtek Wi-Fi with no problems.

The XP wireless (native that did come in some updates I think) will probably not, "see" your Wi-FI dongle without the software installed (the driver etc).

Depending on the brand/manufacturer of your W-Fi dongle can you use another PC to search for the correct driver/software and then run it on the problem machine.

I think you may have tried all of this, but. !

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Aug 3, 2015
Ask a Question