Windows XP- Virtual Box CD Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Max_09, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Max_09

Max_09

Hello,

I hope I have posted this in the right place.

A few months ago, I discovered Virtual Box and after doing some research, I decided to download it because I am interested in being able to use Windows XP on my current Windows 10. At the time of downloading Virtual Box, I did not have a CD.

Please note that I have create a Windows XP virtual machine, but all that is now required is to get the "bootable medium" or CD to make it fully functional.

I now have a CD, but this is where I am having problems. The CD is a copy of Windows XP Pro, but it is a copy in the sense that it has all the files required for Windows XP Pro, e.g.: SETUP, but these are all in folders. While installing this on a computer system itself may not be so difficult, using it in Virtual Box is another matter.

I am unsure what to do in order to get my Virtual Box working with this CD.

Advice and/ or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Max

Max_09, Oct 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. Max_09

Elizabeth23

I do not use a vpn, so I can give you a search page to look through several articles, but there are others here who can help you with this.

Elizabeth23, Oct 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. Max_09

cmccaff1

You came to the right place, Max! Sadly, I do not know a great deal about VirtualBox, though I have used it before. As much as possible I prefer to run OSes on natively compatible hardware, and I am running XP as my main OS from my HP Compaq DC5000 SFF (P4 2.8GHz) right now. Depending on what kind of system you're running (Core 2 Duo/Quad, 1st/2nd/3rd-gen i3/i5/i7, etc.) it should actually be possible to do a native XP install but if you'd prefer to use 10 as your main OS then that's not a problem at all. This link may help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1853121/set-virtual-windows-machine-virtualbox.html

I'm sorry I couldn't be more of a help, but I pray this information will be somewhat useful! I extend you a nice and hearty welcome to the XP forums!

cmccaff1, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Max_09

Lockherup

Just start VB and it will ask you to boot from a CD or ISO. I may have it mixed up with WMware but it was extremely easy when I did it.

Lockherup, Oct 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. Max_09

j896

j896, Oct 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question