Windows XP updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by ptlycldy99, Jun 11, 2015.

1. ptlycldy99

ptlycldy99

Hi --

Last night, when I shut down my laptop, the usual screen came up that said words to the effect that "don't turn off your computer. 1 of 1 updates are being installed" I don't recall the exact words. This was a long install ! Maybe 10 minutes.

Is Microsoft sending out updates? Are they sending out disabling software, so that when Windows 10 comes out we will be forced to purchase it?

Do other companies do updates with the admonition at shutdown to not turn off the computer? This looked like a standard Microsoft shutdown splash screen.

PtlyCldy99

ptlycldy99, Jun 11, 2015
  2. ptlycldy99

Elizabeth23

if you wish to know what update was installed, then look in event viewer.

go to start/ run/ and type in eventvwr.msc

===========

and you should go to the control panel/ choose automatic updates/ and set it to "Download but let me choose when to install"

that way when you get the little update icon in the system tray, you can click on it, choose custom and decide if you want the updates or not.

the only updates you should be getting are the malicious software removal tool. but it does not need to install while shutting down, usually .net updates need to install on a shutdown.

let me know what the update was .

Elizabeth23, Jun 11, 2015
Ask a Question