Windows XP to wifi

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by billyjsr, Oct 27, 2022.

1. billyjsr

billyjsr

I am having problems doing this. Following instructions it will go here click there!! My problem is that there is no such place to click!!! Amy one have a setup that works?? I am using an HP ze4420us laptop..walk me thru the process, but walk slow!! I am 86 yrs old!!!

billyjsr, Oct 27, 2022
  2. billyjsr

ClippyBeer

From what little information I was able to find on the internet for such an old laptop WIFI is not available for that model without an add-on card.

Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon XP Processor 2200+ (1.8GHz) with PowerNow! Technology
    256KB L2 Cache
    Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB) at 266MHz; Maximum Memory **** 1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB)
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon (M6) 4x AGP and 3D architecture
    Graphics Memory: 64MB DDR SDRAM (shared)
    Hard drive : 40GB enhanced-IDE
    Multimedia drive: DVD+CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 8x; CD-rewrite 8x; DVD-read 8x)
    Display: 15.0" XGA TFT (1024 x 768) display)
    Communications: Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    Sound: 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro-compatible audio. Internal Altec Lansing speakers
    Weight: 7.25 lb.
    Dimensions: 12.96" (L) x 10.72" (W) x 1.62" (H)
    Operating system: Microsoft Window XP Home Edition Microsoft .
    90W AC adapter (3 wire)
    8-Cell Lithium Ion battery (4.4 Ahr)

HP's website doesn't even list anything for that model. This is going to be a problem if there are missing drivers (drivers are software that allow various hardware components to work properly with the operating system). There's also the issue of memory - unless extra memory was added (it comes with 256 MB RAM from the factory) you will find it extremely slow when accessing the modern internet.

When this model was released dial-up internet was still widely used and web pages didn't require a lot of memory or CPU power to render properly. That was over 20 years ago. Today's web requires lots of memory, CPU power and high speed internet. The other issue is XP is no longer supported so there are no security or software updates. Software developers, especially browsers, have all abandoned XP so you will run into problems with many websites even if you add extra memory to that laptop.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what you want to use this laptop for so we could provide better advice. I generally don't recommend legacy hardware or operating systems such as XP for novice users. You are on an island relying entirely on whatever support can be offered by forums such as this.

ClippyBeer, Oct 27, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  3. billyjsr

ClippyBeer

Guess he didn't like my answer. For people of a certain age who aren't tech-savvy I usually recommend a tablet or Chromebook. It will provide most the basic needs such as web browsing, email, video chat with family members and Facebook (yes, I know lots of people of a certain age that use Facebook, I'm not one of them).

ClippyBeer, Oct 28, 2022
  4. billyjsr

Elizabeth23

I agree, I can barely remember to check my email at least once a month, and now everyone seems to want me to get a cell phone, Home Depot will not honor my military discount, (air force 11 years :) ) because it has to have a cell phone to scan or something like that, I have a landline, do not want everyone to be contacting me when I am doing anything other than sitting by the phone!

maybe the poster will come back after awhile, it is not easy to give instructions without the poster having at least some basic knowledge, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2022
Ask a Question