Windows XP setup is detecting basic Windows NT 4.0 disks and I don't know why

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by CathedralCity, Aug 16, 2019.

1. CathedralCity

CathedralCity

Just last week, I set myself the challenge of Installing Windows XP onto my laptop. I love Windows XP and I really miss my old desktop. I have the XP setup files housed within a directory on my USB HDD. So I booted into my modified PE image (modified to contain the NVDA screen reader for blind and visually impaired users) and Cleaned my disk using disk part. Then I navigated to my XP directory and launched the setup (I had to browse to the i386 directory and launch WINNT32.exe because the standard setup file wouldn't let me press the install button. The first error message I got when running through the setup wizard was something to do with language files. Then, I got a compatibility report stating that basic NT 4.0 volumes had been detected and that I must convert these volumes to dynamic in order to continue with setup. The question is, why is setup trying to perform an upgrade when I only had the option to perform a clean install of the OS? Also, how is it detecting basic volumes when the disk, which is a 500GB HDD from Western Digital, has no volumes on it? For reference, here's the compatibility report file.

Attached Files:

CathedralCity, Aug 16, 2019
  2. CathedralCity

Elizabeth23

your install setup was probably corrupted, and you should have done an image, now you will have to reinstall xp, do all your adjustments, get your updates and then do an image for any future reinstall.

Elizabeth23, Aug 22, 2019
  3. CathedralCity

Leokids

Re install the nt 4.0 Volumes To detect it! Or yOU Must convert it!

Leokids, Aug 30, 2019
Ask a Question