Windows xp security

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by j.todd, Jun 5, 2017.

1. j.todd

j.todd

Hi. Finally got windows xp activated. Thanks to all who helped. Now. Can anyone recommend a good security program either free or to buy. Also, if free, can I download to my laptop, run a scan, and then install it on the computer running my xp. Thanks. Jim

j.todd, Jun 5, 2017
  2. j.todd

Elizabeth23

I think ESET has a paid program for xp, I am using 360 Total Security Essentials from qihoo and it is free, you can download and install on either or both,

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

there is an offline installer below the download button, and to the right is a green box where you can download the virus databases, of which you only need to download the avira database as the bitdefender database is included with the full download package.

but 360 tse does not install on a 64bit xp only 32bit.

Elizabeth23, Jun 6, 2017
  3. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Thanks. Have downloaded and installed 360. Tried to backup files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak. Found the first file ok but couldn't find the bak one. The closest to it was wpabln. Got into it via my computer, c drive, windows, then system 32. Is there another name for it.Even looked at a few files to see when they were last modified.Thanks again for all your help. It is much appreciated

j.todd, Jun 7, 2017
  4. j.todd

Elizabeth23

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
    read above on wpa, , the .bak file is a backup copy of the wpa.dbl. the wpabaln I am not sure what it is . but I also copy that file when reinstalling. :)

you can place the file in system32 by copying the wpa.dbl file to desktop, then rename it wpa.bak and then place in the system32 folder.

several threads I researched said the the wpa.bak file was not on their pc and they were advised to do the above, but that it did not matter.

Elizabeth23, Jun 7, 2017
    priscus likes this.
  5. j.todd

priscus

I think wpabaln is the message relating to wpa that is displayed in the 'balloon reminder': that text in a bubble which appears bottom Right -hand corner of system tray on taskbar next to clock and other system icons.

But I could be wrong!

Thanks for posting: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm a nice explanation. Microsoft did not honour these conditions with me though.

I will never trust them again.

priscus, Jun 7, 2017
  6. j.todd

trimis

A major part of my security arsenal will be Faronics Deep Freeze Standard, 1 Click & Lock, and NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro...hopefully I will have them in place by end of November.

trimis, Oct 30, 2017
  7. j.todd

Christian

I thought i was the only one who used it since its not that known

Christian, May 18, 2018
Ask a Question