Windows XP & SATA

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by BigK, Dec 30, 2020.

1. BigK

BigK

Hello!

I have a computer system dedicated for a jukebox I built many years ago. I went to add a Sata drive and the bios recognizes it but Windows XP will not. XP is on it's own IDE drive and I added the 2tb SATA as just a music storage drive. How can I get Windows XP to recognize the SATA drive and will it recognize 2TB?

Thanks,
    Kevin

BigK, Dec 30, 2020
  2. BigK

j896

You may need the SATA drivers for your pc..Can you see it in control panel Computer Management Disc Management ? If it is there format it. Choose the NTFS

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    j896, Dec 31, 2020
  3. BigK

trimis

4. BigK

WindowsCP

You can get an XP with sata & raid drivers easily online. I have mine streamlined with drivers I need. I slap in DVD & it installs by itself. I have the fields set to autofill..

WindowsCP, Jan 7, 2021
  5. BigK

secpar

So... in the BIOS, do you have the option to set for IDE, AHCI or RAID on the SATA controller?

IDE will work natively with XP. AHCI and RAID will require drivers. I suspect your motherboard is configured for AHCI on the SATA controller.

secpar, Jan 8, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  6. BigK

Lockherup

I bet he didn't partition and format it .. I don't think XP needs sata drivers once you are in the OS. I have only seen old XP installs not see SATA disks but even a fresh install of XP SP2 from an old T30 disk will see SATA drivers once the OS loaded.

Lockherup, Jan 10, 2021
  7. BigK

secpar

Whether or not a driver is needed depends on the BIOS setting for the controller .

secpar, Jan 14, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  8. BigK

trimis

9. BigK

BigK

I am at a total loss! Windows XP will only see 1tb on my system, so do I need to update bios(can't because I have the latest), update xp to SP3 or just partion my hard drives to 1tb partitions?

I tried my jukebox software with Windows 10 and that has all kinds of .dll and ocx issues. I used to do this stuff but it has been years and I have gotten away from it and just a user anymore.

BigK, Mar 20, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  10. BigK

secpar

I know that the MBR limitation is 2TB max storage space. GPT, which is not apart of most 32-bit operating systems, does support a single disk over 2TB. So, if you're using Windows XP 32-bit and the hard disk itself is over 2TB of storage space (i.e. 3 TB hard drive), then you will unlikely be able to access more than the 2TB on that disk unless the BIOS supports explicitly gives the option to "unlock" the disk capacity.

As far as 1TB limit, I cannot imagine why.

secpar, Mar 20, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  11. BigK

BigK

Do you a copy or point me in the direction for XP with sata? I searched but did not find it.

BigK, Mar 20, 2021
  12. BigK

BigK

I have not used the sata drive as the primary hard drive and formatted and partioned. What exactly do I need to do?

BigK, Mar 20, 2021
  13. BigK

BigK

Hey I wanted to say thanks for not answering anymore of my questions and not helping me out. I know you don't have to but don't post at all then no one will expecting anything if you do just once!

BigK, Mar 24, 2021
  14. BigK

Elizabeth23

???????????

Elizabeth23, Mar 24, 2021
Ask a Question