Windows XP POSReady Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Janice, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Janice

Janice

I have not been able to decide whether to to use these updates or not. Many people have done the registry tweak to use them but there seems to be differences of opinion about this. I would like to know what others in the forum think about this please.

Janice, Nov 4, 2018
  2. Janice

WindowsXPforever

Windows XP POSready updates are safe to use BUT!
    There are 3 problematic updates released for POSready and they where not removed or fixed those updates are
    KB4074852, KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 when enabling the POSready update i always turn off automatic updates and go check for updates manually and i dont install net framework 4 updates because they take a really long time install and i uncheck and hide KB4074852, KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 updates to avoid problems with them :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After enabling the Posready updates on XP i would recommend you to install these 3 Internet explorer 8 updates since Windows Update can take agens to find posready updates
    1st one: ie8-windowsxp-kb4343205-x86-embedded-enu_5cc2246031bd0a949785f6f1799610bff163224b.exe
    2nd one: ie8-windowsxp-kb4457426-x86-embedded-enu_5dac5caee0807d17ca37c8837a81d80c7f25f36a.exe
    and the 3rd one: ie8-windowsxp-kb4462949-x86-embedded-enu_1d397f10668187defcc5126c952d70db36f20abe.exe

These IE8 updates are the latest after installing them reboot and you should be ready to check for updates! :)
    Now there will be NET framework 2.0-4.0 updates and if you want to not to wait a really long time just waiting for net framework updates to install you should uncheck them and install all the posready updates (EXCEPT KB4074852, KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 UPDATES!)
    After that reboot and if you want to install net framework updates enable automtic updates and problably the windows ypdate pop up will come up if not check for updates again at windows update (NOTE:NET FRAMEWORK UPDATES WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO INSTALL!)

WindowsXPforever, Nov 4, 2018
    j896 and Janice like this.
  3. Janice

Elizabeth23

one other note on .net installs, always check for a little shield icon when you go to start/turn off computer/ if the shield is on the Shutdown button then you have to shutdown NOT restart, the computer will shut down when complete and this will take a while, do not worry if the numbers fluctuate or remain the same just wait until the pc turns off. :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 4, 2018
    Janice and WindowsXPforever like this.
  4. Janice

Janice

Thank you for great support. As I mentioned in my post above, all I am trying to find out is whether POSready updates are necessary for me.

Opinion A - All XP vulnerabilities were already known, and all those vulnerabilities were patched up with security updates, at the time MS stopped supporting XP in April 2014. Therefore POSready updates are not necessary because the are not really 'security updates'.

Opinion B - POSready are really 'security updates'. and it is good to have them.

This is what I am trying to find out from the members here; what they think about these two opinions for and against POSready updates, so that I can make up my mind whether to get them or not.

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Janice, Nov 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. Janice

cmccaff1

I cannot recall any instances of POSReady updates messing up even a single XP installation on my end--it certainly can't hurt to have them. It's your choice...certain updates are necessary for stability reasons depending on what programs you use. Strictly preferential.

cmccaff1, Nov 6, 2018
    Janice likes this.
  6. Janice

WindowsXPforever

If they where not really "security updates" people would even be using it.This "trick actually patches most of the holes discovered after april 8 in my side.
    Yes they are problably REALLY NEEDED as in my expierence.Most recent updates are that Microsoft added TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 support on Posready 2009 (xp) and because TLS 1.0 is going bye bye in 2020.Another "BIG" update is 256 bit support for making more sites to open on IE8/or pograms that need IE8 to work.

WindowsXPforever, Nov 7, 2018
    Janice and cmccaff1 like this.
  7. Janice

Janice

Thank you. You have been a great help with all the information posted in this thread. Could you please tell me what these three problematic updates are for, and what happens if they are installed. Very curious about it :)
    I have never seen this 'shield'. Does this appear only during Net installs? And if I see it, I just leave the computer alone to shut down on its own?

Thank you

Janice, Nov 12, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. Janice

WindowsXPforever

Ok,bascicly KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 updates adds a newer version of oleaut32.dll.When these updates are installed various problems can happen.

"when downloading any archive with FF, then clicking on the folder icon to the right of the file name at the downloads list nothing happened (instead of it causing a windows explorer window to open at the folder where the downloaded file were); (ii) when right-clicking on any desktop icon, selecting "Properties", then clicking on the "Go to file" button, nothing happened (instead of it causing a windows explorer window to open at the folder where the linked-to file is); . But I seem to remember dimly there was (iii) an issue with Avast, too (or was it with Malwarebytes Antimalware; ?), IINM. (iv) an issue with Windows Live Mail; (v) it broke down copying files in between partitions/disks; (vi) "Cannot write file. Code 10,242,7" error on attempting to scan from a Canon scanner/printer combo; (vii) the network tray icon stop working or doesn't appear anymore ... And last, but not least, (viii) Karspersky stops working (and crashes on trying to run it)!"
    From here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177818...rsions-of-oleaut32dll-and-current-workaround/
    In my expierence KB4074852 breaks the network tray icon too.
    The "shield" appears only when there a new Security update,net framework update and other microsoft products that you may have installed.Its called Automatic Updates :)

Well if they will be net framework(that will take a very long time to install) you could leave the computer alone :).
    Altough the computer wont reboot on its own after the updates are installed as in my expierence.You wil have to reboot manually yourself after the updates are done :p

WindowsXPforever, Nov 12, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. Janice

Janice

Thank you for the above, As far as this 'shield' icon is concerned, I have seen it often enough at the right hand corner of the task bar in XP, telling me that Updates are available and to click on that to download them. But Elizabeth appears to refer to something else. Quote;

Janice, Nov 12, 2018
    WindowsXPforever and cmccaff1 like this.
  10. Janice

Elizabeth23

yes, it is not in the notification tray, but on the shutdown button when you go to start/turn off computer/ and 3 buttons come up for standby, shutdown, and restart, if the shield is on the shutdown button, then press shutdown and go do something else for awhile, when the updates are finished the computer will shutdown. Then you can start the pc back up

Elizabeth23, Nov 12, 2018
    WindowsXPforever, Janice and cmccaff1 like this.
  11. Janice

Janice

This is very interesting. Thank you.

Janice, Nov 13, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. Janice

Elizabeth23

no problem

Elizabeth23, Nov 13, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question