windows xp on a ssd?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by legacyfan, Jan 5, 2023.

1. legacyfan

legacyfan

I have a new computer on the way (optoplex 7010) and I was wondering if it would be possible to install windows xp on an ssd (the ssd is a microcenter brand 256gb ssd I got for free) if anyone knows how to do do this it would be much appreciated

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    legacyfan, Jan 5, 2023
  2. legacyfan

rereser

rereser, Jan 5, 2023
    Upadi likes this.
  3. legacyfan

tekkaman

Nlite is very good to integrate the achi drivers during setup. You can even patch uxtheme if you want to customize XP later. Before installing XP though there is something you should do first. Some years ago HDDs changed to be Advanced Format. It has to do with how the drive is partitioned. XP doesn't have that. It can partition the drive but it will have much slower performance. The easiest workaround is that before installing XP you put the SSD on a Windows 7 SP1 computer. Create an NTFS partition there and format it. Then reboot and run XP setup and install in that partition without making changes and don't format it. That way it will keep the Advanced Format configuration.

tekkaman, Jan 5, 2023
    TMTGTR and priscus like this.
  4. legacyfan

Satisfoxy

I ironically am on this exact machine. Set the HDD mode from AHCI to ATA and you can skip having to integrate the AHCI driver and just load Windows XP directly from a CD to an SSD.

Satisfoxy, Jan 21, 2023
  5. legacyfan

tekkaman

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard SSDs work better in ACHI.

tekkaman, Jan 23, 2023
  6. legacyfan

Satisfoxy

Yes they would -- but then you'd have to go through much more effort to slip stream drivers into the installation.

Satisfoxy, Feb 19, 2023
Ask a Question