Windows XP Max System Settings?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by PCDesignerR, Jun 26, 2019.

1. PCDesignerR

PCDesignerR

Can anyone please kindly inform me of the maximum allowed hardware settings for Windows XP Professional (x86/x64)? Please and thank you for information!

Max allowed RAM and level? DDR2? DDR3?
    Max allowed size and speed of HDD?
    Will Windows XP support a Raptor 10000 RPM HDD?
    What is the max resolution that Windows XP will support?
    What is the highest level of processor that Windows XP will support?

Thanks for assistance!

PCDesignerR, Jun 26, 2019
  2. PCDesignerR

Computer semi-expert

For x86 Windows, the max amount of RAM allowed is 4 GB. x64 supports up to 128 GB.
    Windows XP supports NTFS, which has a max partition size of 16 TB. The speed shouldn't make a difference.
    I see no reason that XP would not support your Raptor hard drive.
    If your graphics card driver has a resolution listed, XP should support it.
    XP should support any new Intel-compatible processor.

Computer semi-expert, Jun 26, 2019
  3. PCDesignerR

FragileHaze

* 3.83GB is usable by 86 due to memory address limitations. x64 goes up to 128GB. I have 4GB DDR3 SDRAM and am running x86 XP on a desktop from late 2011 (one of the last supporting XP officially).
    * It won't boot from a 2TB+ HDD due to MBR limitations and the fact XP has no out of the box support for GPT (and no support for GPT boot). Not sure about external support, but your best bet is a HDD since XP was designed for non-SSD stuff and things like the defragmentor would mess things up etc. - on that note, you have to boot from IDE mode or slipstream drivers through nLite if you want to use AHCI
    * No idea.
    * In terms of TV display resolutions, 1920x1080 at 60hz works fine on XP, Dunno about monitor resolutions that go any higher or any other refresh rates as I use a 1080p TV myself since over 10 years ago, lol...
    * Ivy Bridge chpset or below in terms of Intel, no idea for AMD, but I doubt anything recent by AMD which got them popular once again will work. Highest NVIDIA GPU is a GTX 960, highest Intel GPU which is stable is a HD 3000

FragileHaze, Jul 21, 2019
Ask a Question