Windows XP & LArge Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by BigK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. BigK

BigK

How can I read larger hard drives with Windows XP either through sata or usb?

BigK, Mar 24, 2021
  2. BigK

secpar

Unless the drive manufacturer provides some sort of "extended capacity manager" like Seagate once upon a time did, or have some sort of chip or brain in the external drive's firmware, chances are you will NOT be able to detect or use any drive over 2 TB in capacity.

I had purchased an eternal seagate hard drive that was 3TB in size and guaranteed it could be viewed from any 32-bit OS, and it worked. I suspect in the case of the external drive it was due to a controller built into the drive dock of the external enclosure.

I have a newer Seagate HDD that's got 8TB of space, and my XP 32-bit cannot view it. My XP 64 can.

secpar, Mar 26, 2021
  3. BigK

BigK

What if I run XP as a virtual machine, would I still only see 2gb of any drive?

Would I be best to run XP64 even with my XP32 bit programs I need to run?

I am at a catch 22 with a old computer I wanted to upgrade and a ne computer that won't run XP and my programs won't run on Win10.

Kinda need a suggestion as to best way to go.

BigK, Mar 26, 2021
  4. BigK

secpar

XP 64 is the way to go based on what you're trying to do.

XP 32 in a virtual machine will have the same issues. However, the work around would be mapping a "shared folder" from the host OS to the guest OS.

secpar, Mar 26, 2021
  5. BigK

red Guest

use old hdd from a sky box 500gb either as main drive or buy external case work well on xp :)

red, Mar 30, 2021
  6. BigK

BigK

Ok so here it what I have done so far. I setup a virtual machine with Virtual Box and installed WinXP. Install went great with the help of some videos on YouTube. Now I will map a shared folder from host os to the guest os or just partition my 4gb hard drive in partitions of 2gb or less.

BigK, Mar 31, 2021
  7. BigK

Samir

There's a couple of different ways around this problem. One is to use a NAS that can have much larger drives than 2TB.

The other is to use 4kn sectored drives. The western digital easystores are capable of being converted to 4kn through a wd program and then because the sectors are 4096 bytes versus 512 bytes, you can have a much larger drive (up to 16TB I think) natively in xp. You still can't exceed 2TB for fat32 partitions unless you want to use some tricks, but otherwise it works well. I have 2x 14TB easystore drives with mbr partitions of 7x 2TB fat32 volumes. And xp, win7+, and even nas units recognize it. :D

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
Ask a Question