Windows XP Embedded Realtek HD Audio Driver Update Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Sirsalt, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Sirsalt

Sirsalt

Hi,

I have a Global VR (GVR) Madden arcade machine which runs on PC using windows XP embedded with no service packs. The embedded build was created for a DFI PS35-BL, which is a low quality PCB. Most GVR games using this board have broke down due to this motherboard failing.

GVR supplies recover disks that can be loaded, but it's just a basic disk image utility for the hardware. Once that image is dumped, you then install the game from 2 game installation disks. I've successfully upgraded the hardware in other GVR machines, but your kind of at the mercy of the embedded package, so coming up with a process to install drivers can be a pain. I've found that you have to use with a motherboard with a similar chipset. Straying to another chipset will BSOD, even when installing the correct drivers. Since the embedded package is stripped down, updating some of the drivers is cumbersome, but doable. The issue I can't seem to resolve with the current hardware upgrade is the Realtek HD audio driver.

I'm upgrading from the DFI PS35-BL to an Intel DG41TY. I've successfully performed the same hardware upgrade on 2 other GVR machines, but there's definitely something different with the embedded package for Madden. After successfully installing the chipset, LAN and video drivers, I moved on to the audio. The Realtek audio comes up as "Unknown Device" in device manager. Normally when installing the DG41TY driver from Intel's support page, the device becomes known and working once that driver package is installed. The issue I'm currently having with the driver, is that it requires Service Pack 1, which I'm unable to install. I can't remember the exact message, when trying to install SP1, but It's pretty generic. Something to the effect of "unable to install service pack".

Any suggestions on how to install SP1 on an existing XP embedded installation?

-John

Sirsalt, Sep 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. Sirsalt

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. Sirsalt

Sirsalt

Who's cmccaff1?

I'll give it a shot, if it will install. Proprietary XP Embedded installations are picky as hell. Thanks for the tipl.

Sirsalt, Sep 18, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. Sirsalt

Elizabeth23

when you look at the tab for new posts, if he is not listed up there then click on view recent posts and you will see he has contributed quite a bit.

you are welcome

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. Sirsalt

cmccaff1

Nice to meet you, Sirsalt! I'm not sure if SlimDrivers will work on XP SP1--I always use an installation disc with SP3 slipstreamed in for fresh XP installations. I did use XP SP1 a few years back, but only for testing purposes on my old IBM Thinkpad 380ED to see if I could use WinXP on a system with less than 64MB of RAM (it quickly got replaced with Win95, which is what it was designed to run in the first place).

Older versions of the Realtek driver should work on earlier XP versions. A bit of trial and error got me pages for 2004-era versions of the driver, identifiable by the file name template "wdm_r10x.exe." The oldest version I could reliably access and download was r1.09, which can be found here: https://kbench.com/software/?q=node/11564 (click on the blue button below "12663 Kb")

I'm not sure as to how stable this driver would be compared to newer or even older versions but it should install with no issues on XP SP1, perhaps even a vanilla XP with no service packs at all! I pray that this will do what you need it to do if SD doesn't work!

cmccaff1, Sep 18, 2018
Ask a Question