Windows XP Dual Boot (with Windows 7) - XP Won't Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Gerge, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Gerge

Gerge

I've been attempting to dual-boot Windows XP with Windows 7. Windows 7 is pre-installed.
    Everything goes normally until the OS actually starts installing. Before I can even choose a partition, I get a very vague error telling me to re-start the computer. There are no physical defects on the disc, and I can't imagine MS messed up burning it. The disc is for Windows XP Professional x64. Any ideas as to why it won't install?

I will attempt to post a picture of the error, too...
    Sorry if this belongs somewhere else.

Gerge, Jan 18, 2015
  2. Gerge

Gerge

Update:
    " A Problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive sor hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADF2BC323c0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000000000, 0
    x00000000000000000000)"

I have no idea if I got the right amount of 0s and all that, so don't assume the error code is correct. This message is displayed as soon as the disc finishes loading drivers & files.

Gerge, Jan 18, 2015
  3. Gerge

Elizabeth23

to properly dual boot xp and 7, xp has to be installed first, and then 7.

you might look through the threads on this search page on how to dual boot.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Jan 19, 2015
  4. Gerge

Gerge

I wonder if XP not having sata drivers could be the problem?
    (The XP partition is on a sata ssd, I believe.)

Gerge, Jan 19, 2015
  5. Gerge

Elizabeth23

xp will not install on a sata drive without sata controllers either on a floppy disk or slipstreamed onto your install cd with nlite.

Elizabeth23, Jan 20, 2015
  6. Gerge

Jojo

A better option is not to dual boot at all, but to put XP and W7 of different drives, then select which drive you want from the !BOOT menu.

The corruption is W7 attempting to sabotage XP. It's a M$ trick to force you to use what they prefer,

Most Linux versions do exactly the same. It's possible to dual boot for anything in theory, in practice, it seems a bit differnt

Jojo, Jan 21, 2015
Ask a Question