Windows XP Computer Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by JediJonathan, Apr 25, 2018.

1. JediJonathan

JediJonathan

I've had this Dell Windows XP PC for about fifteen years, and after not touching it since like 2013, I decided to boot it up again for old-times-sake just to see what files were on the system. A few weeks later, I realized that I wanted to pull some files off of the old computer to stick on the laptop I currently use, but when I attempted to boot the computer up, I kept getting stuck at BIOS with error messages which I can't remember as of now, but it seemed to be along the lines of a hardware failure message. A month later, I again tried booting the Windows XP, and was successfully able to do so, but when I logged into my profile, I got the message, "The system has recovered from a serious error. A log of this error has been created." and when I further investigated the details, I found this "error signature":
    BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : 80FEF1BA BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 80FEF1BA
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1
    I only want to know if any of you on this forum know what this error code means, so I can attempt to fix whatever problem is occurring.
    Computer Specs which I can remember from when I bought the machine:
    Dell Windows XP Professional Edition
    2GB Ram
    256GB Video Card
    64GB Spinning Hard Drive
    Intel Pentium 4

Thanks - Jonathan

JediJonathan, Apr 25, 2018
  2. JediJonathan

Elizabeth23

the first thing you should do is replace the cmos battery, then run chkdsk with the /r parameter either from the recovery console or from the cmd prompt if the cmos replacement lets you boot to windows.

Elizabeth23, Apr 25, 2018
Ask a Question