Windows XP bsod on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Sean, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sean

Sean

First of all not exactly an IT guy but do have some fair skill - I was helping a friend try and get a computer back going , and at first she only told me it was having a low voltage issue in bios so i assumed I would only need to replace the battery, however after letting it do what it would do i also came to find out it had a bsod when trying to boot windows XP. I fixed the battery issue but am almost to wits end on the booting issue. At first from my experience all signs pointed to a bad hdd (recovery console said disk read error, couldn't get any media to boot etc. ) but i did finally get a new windows install to work, and i reinstalled recovery console to get it working.

So right now i am at the point of having one copy of windows working (windows.0) and the original installation still on the computer and available from the boot menu but still giving the bsod. Recovery console works but fixboot command had no effect.
    I was thinking (yes i know we need the error message for any real advise but i will not be back at the computer until 5:30 est) once i get the message , if it does in fact point to a file failure i will try copying the file pointed to from the good installation and see if that works.

Any thoughts / ideas? Computer is a dell precision T3400, other than the CMOS battery possible causes were power failures from construction - wouldn't think it would be an update issue any longer. Sorry if this was hard to follow and i'll be glad to clear up what i can without being in front of the computer.

Sean, Apr 17, 2018
  2. Sean

Sean

Error is the following : 0x0000007b (0xba4e3524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000 0x00000000000)

have tried fixboot , fixbmr, have tried to get into a repair installation but it gives me the same error when trying from a USB drive so going to try a cd today, deleting the registry files and replacing with repair files

Sean, Apr 18, 2018
  3. Sean

Elizabeth23

7B is usually a driver, was anything installed lately? you should boot to Hiren's and delete all the drivers that you personally installed and then boot with just the generic drivers from an xp install.

Elizabeth23, Apr 18, 2018
  4. Sean

Sean

Nothing installed lately, from what i had found the 0x00000007b was supposed to also mean a bad hdd. The woman who uses it is a florist who gives away flowers to familys in need and can't get to some of her billing information that is why they need to try and get to the original installation. She basically only used it for her POS terminal and that was it. When recovery console also said disk read error i figured it was a bad hdd but eventually getting windows installed again and repairing recovery console makes me think that a critical file is just on a bad cluster.

I don't know that much about hirens, will it let me boot the bad installation or is it a stand alone? i'll do some more research on it as well.

Thanks for your reply

Sean, Apr 18, 2018
  5. Sean

Elizabeth23

take the hard drive out and see if you can put it in a good computer and see if you get the same error, if you do then the drive could be bad and I do not know how to read a bad drive, there are companies that advertise on line to repair a hard drive but I have never used them.

Elizabeth23, Apr 18, 2018
  6. Sean

Sean

I don't have another desktop, but I can see all the files from the 2nd installation of xp. I have also found I can not repair the installation because it is probably an dell installation and I'm trying to use a bootable iso I found. Really frustrating because I know she needs these items badly. I've also tried to put the old software registry files in her new installations registry to run the software she needs but don't think it helped. I'm at my wits end

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  7. Sean

Elizabeth23

If you can see the files you can copy them to a flash drive and then buy a new drive, and reinstall xp, if you follow the instructions below you shouldn't have to activate, but if you are reinstalling to an oem pc, then you have to have an oem reinstall disk for the same type of xp that was originally installed as the license is attached to the original machine.

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.

Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Reinstall XP in the normal manner

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options

Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.

Navigate to system32 folder.

Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.

Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.

Reboot the computer.

Elizabeth23, Apr 19, 2018
  8. Sean

Sean

right but my problem isn't completely just getting the files , they have a pos system that they need to use but don't remember the serial number to or pretty much any info they need to actually use it (they just double clicked it and nevery wrote down any of the info) which is why I'm interested in restoring that particular installation.

I did have a small victory - I copy the system32 folder from my windows install into the installation that doesn't work , but still used the config folder from that installation in hopes I would get the right file . it did boot from that installation however it looked like the installation that does work so I still couldn't work with it. Is there a list of files that are required for the boot that I could try replacing to see if replacing those would help? She's going to have to close the shop if I can't figure it out soon.

Also I saw there may be a way to edit a system.ini file to get the repair option to work regardless of version but could not find any further info

Also I see that you are very active here and I thank you for that I will also try and help

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  9. Sean

Elizabeth23

XP provides another System Configuration Editor tool called sysedit that when you run it (from Start, Run) will open the win.ini, system.ini, config.sys and autoexec.bat files all at once for editing.

So if your two files are not present, it makes sense that you will not see the tabs in msconfig.

courtesy of Jose Ibarra from HERE

10. Sean

Sean

so simple solution that I should have thought of .....find a dell oem install! and then I was given the repair option. however I tried another thing I read that involved mucking around with the registry files in system32/config so it still wasn't good enough although I did get it to boot after repair. Im trying again with hopefully good backups of the registry files... praying!

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  11. Sean

Elizabeth23

12. Sean

Sean

I actually tried the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rupted-registry-that-prevents-windows-xp-from to fix the original problem. It hung on activation and i picked the new installation when it restarted and for some reoson that made the repaired installation look the same.

I did the repair install again, after replacing the registry files with the back ups i made thru the above link. It hung on activation again but this time i picked the repair install on restart and everything looks fairly good like it was before.
    So it appears the windows issue is finally fixed but i still couldn't get the POS software to run. There isn't much on it to research so might have to call the company for it.

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  13. Sean

Elizabeth23

where did you get the software? and what is the exact name

14. Sean

Sean

From what i can gather they had Teleflora set up the whole deal and had 2 POS machines - then it was taken over by an employee and they quit using them for their credit card processing but still use the POS software - They have no and maybe even minus record keeping as far as serial numbers, passwords etc. They can call but the original owner has to call because they haven't transferred the ownership or something.

It's Teleflora DovePOS - i could only find one post about it not working properly and did not seem to be the same case

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  15. Sean

Sean

On a side note to anyone else who might have had the same problems as i - you may find the install cds/ usb bootable give you the same error or a different error. I found a great tutorial about loading it a different way that always worked, i will edit this post with the link once i get back to her shop as i bookmarked it on another machine she had. Also don't go crazy if you are trying to do a repair install and it doesn't work - it probably means mismatched versions (Oem vs retail) and that was exactly my problem.

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  16. Sean

Elizabeth23

17. Sean

Sean

oh sorry i meant the DOVEPOS program had a serial, when i tried to install it on the new installation of windows before i repaired the original.

It does appear i will be on the phone with teleflora but i think they are supposed to have a 4 digit pin and they don't know where it is either.

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  18. Sean

Vijay Gund

0x000000c5 blue dump issue occurred in win SP3 machine.....

Any one help me for the issue.....

check also attached snap.....

Attached Files:

• xp.JPG
      xp.JPG
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    Vijay Gund, Jun 6, 2018
  19. Sean

Elizabeth23

@Vijay Gund: c5 usually indicates a faulty driver, did you install anything?

you might need to boot to a rescue disk to delete the faulty driver and or program, unless you can boot to safe mode

Elizabeth23, Jun 6, 2018
  20. Sean

Vijay Gund

@Elizabeth23

Run as per rescue tool but no faulty driver found and still facing issue of blue dump ...

Multiple system having same issue....

Vijay Gund, Jun 7, 2018
Ask a Question