Windows XP Auto Lock - Not Screen Saver

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by BrettW, Mar 19, 2014.

1. BrettW

BrettW

A few years ago I set a couple of Windows XP machines to automatically lock after five minutes of inactivity. I know it was either a registry change or a modification via gpedit.msc. Unfortunately I cannot remember how to modify or disable this feature. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance.

BrettW, Mar 19, 2014
  2. BrettW

Elizabeth23

from here

and here says about the same thing:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6952223_disable-auto-lock-windows-xp.html

===================

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]
    i work remotely with vnc (ultravnc) and it was a bit inconvenient that windows automatically locks the screen after some idle time after i disconnected

at first i wanted to disable screen saver in the desktop settings dialog, but could not do it - the "Wait" pop down list and the "On resume password protect" checkbox were grayed out (i think it may be domain policy which override local and i have not enoght rights)

next i tried to change several different policies with gpedit.msc but also without result

and finally i had succeeded with setting these registry keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "ScreenSaverIsSecure"="0"
    "ScreenSaveActive"="0"
    "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="999999999"

hope this help

above from here:

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/disable-auto-lock--ftopict586976.html

Elizabeth23, Mar 19, 2014
  3. BrettW

BrettW

Elizabeth, thanks for the assistance. I am certain it is not as simple as the screen saver. There were a couple of employees who would frequently leave their computer unlocked so I modified them to lock after five minutes of inactivity. I am fairly certain it was a registry change but I do not have the keys listed previously -

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Wind ows\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "ScreenSaverIsSecure"="0"
    "ScreenSaveActive"="0"
    "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="999999999"

From what I can remember it wasn't screen saver related. It simply did the same as Win + L but did it automatically.

BrettW, Mar 20, 2014
  4. BrettW

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 20, 2014
  5. BrettW

BrettW

Thanks Elizabeth, I'll give that a try.

BrettW, Mar 21, 2014
Ask a Question