Windows XP Auto Lock - Not Screen Saver

A few years ago I set a couple of Windows XP machines to automatically lock after five minutes of inactivity. I know it was either a registry change or a modification via gpedit.msc. Unfortunately I cannot remember how to modify or disable this feature. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance.

said by anonnnn :

So there must be some setting for locking an idle computer that is NOT related to the screen saver and yet nobody knows where it is?
I guess I'm nobody, since I know where it is.

Two things may happen on inactivity:

1) Screen saver. May be password protected. See "on resume, password protect" on screen-saver settings.

2) Power management. See "prompt for password when computer returns from standby" on Power Options control-panel applet.

from here

and here says about the same thing:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6952223_disable-auto-lock-windows-xp.html

===================

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]
i work remotely with vnc (ultravnc) and it was a bit inconvenient that windows automatically locks the screen after some idle time after i disconnected

at first i wanted to disable screen saver in the desktop settings dialog, but could not do it - the "Wait" pop down list and the "On resume password protect" checkbox were grayed out (i think it may be domain policy which override local and i have not enoght rights)

next i tried to change several different policies with gpedit.msc but also without result

and finally i had succeeded with setting these registry keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"="0"
"ScreenSaveActive"="0"
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="999999999"

hope this help

above from here:

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/disable-auto-lock--ftopict586976.html

Elizabeth, thanks for the assistance. I am certain it is not as simple as the screen saver. There were a couple of employees who would frequently leave their computer unlocked so I modified them to lock after five minutes of inactivity. I am fairly certain it was a registry change but I do not have the keys listed previously -

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Wind ows\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"="0"
"ScreenSaveActive"="0"
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="999999999"

From what I can remember it wasn't screen saver related. It simply did the same as Win + L but did it automatically.

Back