Windows XP and Zoom Conferencing Software

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by HaroldC, Mar 7, 2021.

1. HaroldC

HaroldC

With apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have been using zoom conferencing since lockdown started. Whilst this works OK on my Windows 10 laptop I have some issues with my Windows XP desktop which I prefer to use to access meetings..

The zoom application is version 5.0.5 [26213.0602] which I assume is the latest version for Windows XP. My laptop has a later version.

I have a couple of issues:-

1. The zoom application can use up to 99% of my cpu - although it seems to "tick over" at around 45%.
    2. The system locks up at the most inconvenient moments - which is a real problem when it is my turn to present something to the meeting. I would say that this occurs more if there are a lot of people in the meeting.
    3. When the performance is low zoom starts up 'zcrashreport.exe' to gather diagnostics which actually make the matter worse. It just appears to collect diagnostics but doesn't report anything to zoom as the name of the application suggests.

I just wondered whether anyone else has experienced similar issues and whether they had any suggestions. Maybe I should report these to zoom and see what they say although they may not be keen since it is a Windows XP machine.

HaroldC, Mar 7, 2021
  2. HaroldC

Samir

Video conferences are very taxing to the hardware. My i7 HP 8760w, while older, it more than sufficient for anything I usually use it for. But on zoom conferences, the cpu is nearly 100%, and this is even with a discrete gpu.

Sometimes it's not a software issue, but just a hardware one where the hardware can't keep up. These type of issues are rare today since the software is usually the demand (must upgrade to windows 24 to browse the Internet!), but the hardware one still arises in some cases like this one.

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
    HaroldC likes this.
  3. HaroldC

HaroldC

Hi Samir - Thanks I think that is my problem - Harold

HaroldC, Apr 17, 2021
  4. HaroldC

Samir

Welcome Harold!

Samir, May 3, 2021
Ask a Question