Windows XP Activation

I have a Compaq computer that had Windows XP installed by Compaq. I was having lots of trouble with programs not being able to access services, and decided to try a "repair installation". The CD I used for the repair was not the disk used for the original installation of Windows XP.

I came to the screen asking for the product key. I found the 25-digit number on the back of the machine and entered it. Unfortunately, the installer doesn't recognize the number as a valid key. I checked about a dozen times, and the numbers I entered match the ones on the sticker.

I have the recovery disks that I made when I bought the product, but I still have files on the system that I would like to recover. What options are available to me?

Thanks!

Opticswalt

If this helps:

Original OS = Windows XP Home Edition (probably OEM version of some sort)
Disk used for repair install = Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (probably retail version)

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not have a failsafe for these type of incidents. In your situation, I would download a copy of GNU/Linux and burn it to a CD (preferably Ubuntu). Then, boot your computer via the CD-Rom, and on the Ubuntu splash screen, select "Try Ubunut without installation" or something like that. Once you get to the desktop, navigate to the Filesystem and you should be able to see your old HDD and access it's contents as well. If all of this works, dump the documents and files you need to an external HDD or flash drive. This is one way to recover your files without actually having to boot into Windows XP.

Try it out and let me know.

Back