Windows XP, 7, 10 & 11 System Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by TheExecutioner, May 16, 2023.

1. TheExecutioner

TheExecutioner

Howdy!

Please try to be on the topic and follow what I requested and give me some suggestions regarding choosing the motherboard, ram, CPU, and GPU.

I want to create a robust system to support Windows XP and later.

I want to start some old projects like emulation and other old stuff, so I will probably use XP, 7, and 11 on three different partitions.

I want to use a Mini ITX, if possible, or a Micro ATX motherboard.

As a CPU and GPU, I want Intel and Nvidia, the most powerful for this platform, and of course, the best and the latest motherboard with Windows XP support.

I know CPU Ivy Bridge is the latest one, but can I use a Haswell one or even higher?

As a brand for the motherboard, I would like EVGA or Asus, and also for the GPU, EVGA.

For the ram, if it is a possible minimum of 32GB ram, suggest the brand and frequency.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    TheExecutioner, May 16, 2023
  2. TheExecutioner

cornemuse

Let us know how it goes, , , ,

cornemuse, May 16, 2023
  3. TheExecutioner

TheExecutioner

Come on, really? Did you read the post?

Basically i ask a suggestion and i received: Let us know how it goes, , , ,

This the best answer that i ever read in 20 years.

4. TheExecutioner

ClippyBeer

5. TheExecutioner

Madeleine Takam

The fastest graphics card you can use is a the Nvidia 980Ti. Then you can run Windows XP at 4K. You need to build/adapt your own drivers, which is extremely easy. But since you are going to run Windows 7 and 11 on the same machine, this is really is the card you should go for

My personal opinion is that partitioning the drive is a pointless hassle. When you could just use 3 solid state drives and choose which you boot from bios start up.

This gentleman gives a good explanation and break down.

This gentleman has kindly built the drivers for you.

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

I only use Supermicro’s, so I can’t give you advice on other boards. But for a Supermicro you can go up to the X9 series. You can push Xeon’s up to 4.6 gigahertz.

If you want to go for a lonely CPU there is a gentleman that ClippyBeer has linked to (Kithylin) that has many posts photo’s and instructions on this forum.

You are really going to be limited to 32GB of Ram and you will have to build it up from 4GB after initial build. IE using PAE

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/01/windows-xp-ram-patch.html

Also, many pages on this forum.

Basically:

1. Download and save the 64 GB PAE patch
    https://download850.mediafire.com/vozw7lu6yfvg/i7nhh6hj8af63ui/Gamersky-WindowsXP_64G_RAM.7z
    and then extract its contents.

2. Copy the ntkl64g.exe and hal64g.dll files into the C:\Windows\system32 folder.

3. Replace the contents of the C:\boot.ini file with this text:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /kernel=ntkl64g.exe /hal=hal64g.dll /fastdetect /PAE /noexecute=alwaysoff

4. Restart the computer.

(Note: This is assuming Windows XP SP3 32-bit is installed in the C: drive)

Upon restart, everything loaded and appeared to work fine.
    The amount of usable RAM increased from 3.55 GB to 15.92 GB.

If you go for PAE you could have problems and you will not be able to use LAA. (This is far more beneficial on Windows XP)

LAA = large address aware, and what it's for is it unlocks the 2 GB ram limitation of the exe. I had always assumed you needed a 64 bit OS for it to work, but some people have said it would work on the 32 bit also. It was a hold over from 32 bit OS, locking applications down to 2gb max of ram as 32 bit OS, can't handle above 3.5 GB ram.

With 32bit systems one needs also to use the "/3GB" switch in the "boot.ini" system file, like in the last line here:

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home /3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2900

Also, "/Userva=XX" is important to set the amount of memory the system reserves for applications; in the case above, 2900 MB. With 32bit system the address space is 4GB total, and that includes everything, memory reserved for system use and system resources. The application memory is generally limited to 2GB to avoid overflow in the space reserved to the system. When setting the /3GB switch, one has to make sure that the system resources will never exceed the remaining address space, or the system will crash.
    Using the /3GB switch without a LAA application is a waste of resource memory; using a LAA app without the /3GB switch will provide no benefit. The two settings must go together to work.

Windows XP: How to setup the /3GB Bootparameter
    Select "My Computer" with a right-click and choose "Properties"
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Switch to the "Startup and Recovery" area and press "Settings"
    In the System startup section, click Edit.
    It should automatically start Notepad displaying the Windows boot.ini
    In the "Operating Systems" section, add /3GB to the end of the line that includes /fastdetect
    Don't forget to save the changes and close Notepad and all open dialog boxes.
    To let the changes take effect restart your computer

Windows Vista/7: How to setup increaseuserva Bootparameter
    Navigate to Start>All Programs>Accessories>
    Right-click "Command prompt" and choose "Run as administrator"
    A command line window should open
    Type in "BCDEdit /set increaseuserva 3072" (without quotation marks)

To be perfectly honest trying to run Windows XP and Windows 11 on the same machine is more pain than it is worth. It’s easier on your time, wallet and sanity to either use 2 separate machines or use Virtualbox to run XP.

Hope this helps.

Madeleine Takam, May 16, 2023
  6. TheExecutioner

TheExecutioner

Now that's what I call the correct answer; thank you.

Could you please recommend an ITX Intel Ivy Bridge Motherboard, the latest one that supports XP and 32 GB ram?

Also, how about Haswell? It will have drivers for XP?

For the GPU, can I use 1080 TI?

Can you also recommend what brand and frequency to use for the 2x16 GB ram?

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  7. TheExecutioner

Madeleine Takam

In answer to your four questions:

Could you please recommend an ITX intel Ivy Bridge, latest one that supports XP and 32gb ram?

Answer: Not a clue, as I said, I use Supermicro’s

Also how about Haswell? It will have drivers for XP?

Answer: Haswell runs on XP. In relation to drivers. The normal procedure is to google the motherboard you are looking at and see if you can download drivers for XP.

For the GPU, can I use 1080 TI?

Answer: No – But maybe possible if you feel comfortable developing your own drivers. I have given links to the procedure and the men with the skill set to do just that. You just have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?

Can you recommend also what brand and frequency to use for the 2x16 GB ram?

Answer: I can’t recommend a brand or frequency, because I haven’t got a clue what motherboard you will choose. The usual procedure is to check the motherboard manufacturers site and they will list the specs of memory you can go for. Also Note that your CPU choice can also limit memory.

I use this very very old motherboard on my XP system.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/archive/motherboard/x8dai

This is another really old board. It’s a popular Windows XP compatible motherboard that is well supported by the hobbyist community and has driver’s support

https://www.evga.com/articles/archive/00537/default.asp

Drivers here:

https://www.evga.com/support/downlo...accversion=1.0.0.1701&part_number=132-gt-e768

Finally, I use a particular kind of hardware, so my knowledge is very limited. ClippyBeer has already given you a link to a chap who really has put together a marvellous machine. I suggest you browse these forums and look at what people have built. Also, the YouTube link I sent – that guy knows his onions – watch his channel for ideas.

Madeleine Takam, May 17, 2023
  8. TheExecutioner

tekkaman

If you don't mind not having the fastest PC you could buy a used AM3+ motherboard an FX CPU an Nvidia 980Ti. That way you could run XP 64 without dealing with PAE hacks. It should run from XP 64 to Windows 10.

tekkaman, May 17, 2023
  9. TheExecutioner

TheExecutioner

I found these 2 motherboards that I would like to use, which one should I pick?

https://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-maximus-vi-gene-review/

https://www.asus.com/commercial-motherboard/csb/overview/

TheExecutioner, May 17, 2023
  10. TheExecutioner

Madeleine Takam

Well, the Asus Maximus VI Gene apparently has drivers for both 32Bit and 64Bit XP

https://drivers.eu/Mainboards/ASUS/MAXIMUS+VI+GENE/Windows XP

No idea about the other link you put up, it just seems to be a series of boards.

It’s up to you what you do, but going for a Mini ITX / Micro ITX may cause problems when installing a high end graphics card. Since you will have to have a decent PSU and a reasonable size case for cooling to run a 980Ti, I don’t see the point in causing possible problems. For instance the Asus Maximus VI Gene, has on board graphics, because Asus expect quite a few people to use it with those.

Madeleine Takam, May 18, 2023
    Mr Siamese Cat likes this.
  11. TheExecutioner

TalhaMughak

Ahh windows xp my first windows and i still remember how i used to play games on it about a decade ago

TalhaMughak, Nov 5, 2023
  12. TheExecutioner

Samir

Samir, Nov 17, 2023
Ask a Question