Windows XP 64-bit Edition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Brandon, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Brandon

Brandon

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Windows XP 64-bit Edition (not Professional) that was made for Itanium systems? I've looked everywhere, but I still can't find it.

Brandon, Jul 25, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. Brandon

Elizabeth23

https://the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows XP/

do not know which of the above are the ones for the Itanium systems, you can read more on the Itanium systems at wikipedia, here is an excerpt:

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition was designed to run on Intel Itanium family of microprocessors in their native IA-64 mode.

Two versions of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition were released:

• Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for Itanium systems, Version 2002 – Based on Windows XP codebase, was released simultaneously alongside the 32-Bit version of Windows XP on October 25, 2001.[36]
    • Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Version 2003 – Based on Windows Server 2003 codebase (which added support for the Itanium 2 processor), was released on March 28, 2003.[37]

This edition was discontinued in January 2005, after Hewlett-Packard, the last distributor of Itanium-based workstations, stopped selling Itanium systems marketed as 'workstations'.[38] As of July 2005, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is no longer supported, and no further security updates were made available.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition was not marketed as the Itanium version of Microsoft's other Windows XP editions, but, instead, as a separate edition made solely for the Itanium processor and its 64-bit instructions. It is mostly analogous to Windows XP Professional, but numerous older technologies, such as DAO, Jet database, NTVDM, and Windows on Windows, are no longer present, so support for MS-DOS and Win16 applications is absent. The original version also lacks most media applications, such as Windows Media Player, NetMeeting, Windows Movie Maker, and integrated CD burning, although WMP and NetMeeting were added in the 2003 version.

Similar to the ability of previous alternate architecture ports of Windows (Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC, MIPS R4x00, and Alpha) to run 16-bit x86 code via Windows on Windows, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition can run standard x86 32-bit applications through its WOW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit) emulation layer. While the original Itanium processor contains an on-chip IA-32 decoder, it was deemed far too slow for serious use (running at about 400 MHz), so Microsoft and Intel wrote a software 32 to 64-bit translator dubbed the IA-32 Execution Layer. It allows real time translation of x86 32-bit instructions into IA-64 instructions, allowing 32-bit applications to run (albeit significantly more slowly than native code).

Elizabeth23, Jul 25, 2018
  3. Brandon

cmccaff1

64-bit XP shouldn't be too hard to find. Be advised, however, that SP3 was never released for that version of XP. It only goes up to SP2 (and there are a few programs that in recent years have started to require SP3). If you want XP to see all of the RAM in your system's motherboard then I recommend using 32-bit XP SP3 with the 128GB RAM patch, which can be downloaded from the following site: http://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/01/windows-xp-ram-patch.html

cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Brandon

cornemuse

5. Brandon

cmccaff1

That shouldn't be happening...thankfully, there are other sites from which to get the patch. On a fresh XP installation I always put the latest version of Dan Pollock's HOSTS file along with the latest (last?) version of Fanboy's urlfilter.ini file for Opera 12.18 and older. On whatever Gecko-based browser I have accompanying Opera I install the latest compatible version of uBlock Origin (if it's a very old version, it becomes Adblock Plus instead). This site never gave me any trouble, but here is another link just in case:

https://www23.zippyshare.com/v/o85jZjmh/file.html

This link was officially posted by Dibya(who made the patch in the first place) to the BetaArchive.com forums; it's the last version. Honestly, I get by every day, & have been for years, with the 4GB or so maximum XP normally imposes; if you follow the directions to the letter you shouldn't have any problems with your system after installing the patch should you decide to try it. I merely list it as an option; this is by no means an endorsement. It's better to play it safe and just stick with 4GB, in my opinion, if you're not a 'power user.' If you do a lot of video editing/encoding/rendering, graphic design, and/or play games that require a lot of RAM and need to have plenty of RAM freed up in order to avoid play-through-ruining lag/slowdown, then unlocking the extra RAM may help.

cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
  6. Brandon

cornemuse

The zippyshare link goes nowhere for me (click the browse button?? What browse button??)

cornemuse, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. Brandon

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. Brandon

cornemuse

Liz, got it! Thanks!!

cornemuse, Sep 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. Brandon

cmccaff1

That's awesome! I pray that it will help you! If you follow the instructions to the letter, then you should have no issues activating the extra RAM on your system.

cmccaff1, Sep 17, 2018
  10. Brandon

Elizabeth23

cornemuse, you are welcome, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. Brandon

caliber

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. :)

Dibya is monitoring the MSFN forum daily however he does nothing to solve my BSOD issue

how do you get this patch to work well ?

I have 8GB on the main board, 3.5GB right after a fresh XP installation but now it only recognizes 3GB...

caliber, Dec 29, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. Brandon

Elizabeth23

I have not used this patch, but maybe cornemuse will explain how he used it, :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 30, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  13. Brandon

Janice

Janice, Dec 30, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. Brandon

WindowsXPforever

WindowsXPforever, Dec 30, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  15. Brandon

cmccaff1

That's why I'm not using the patch anymore myself, either. If you want to use more than 4GB of RAM, you're better off using 64-bit XP. I use 32-bit XP and have a safe upper limit of 3.4GBon my current machine/main PC (an HP ProDesk 600 G1), which is plenty for me.

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
    Jody Thornton and Janice like this.
  16. Brandon

Elizabeth23

if anyone still wants to try the patch, I have reloaded it to my onedrive, :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 and Janice like this.
  17. Brandon

WindowsXPforever

Elizabeth,i wouldnt recommwnd the patch on personal pcs you could test it in a vm because the patch uses an outdated version of xp's kernel

WindowsXPforever, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. Brandon

Elizabeth23

Just making it available to those who wish to try the patch.

Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2019
    WindowsXPforever, Janice and cmccaff1 like this.
  19. Brandon

Katie Boundary

I'm intrigued by the fact that the OP apparently somehow acquired an Itanium system. WTF?

Katie Boundary, May 22, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  20. Brandon

Mike_Walsh

@ Katie Boundary:-

Apparently, the very top-end 'Kittson'-cored Itanium 2 server processors (the 9760s) are still available to special order.....up until July 29, 2021. Intel aren't gonna let it go without a fight, despite the fact that it died a death as far as mainstream home users were concerned, since coders weren't prepared to port apps/programs to it. Almost 20 years after it was generally given 'the bum's rush' by most, it still seems popular with server operators.

(That's if you've got around $4,700 kicking around you've got no immediate plans for..!)

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Itanium_2/Intel-Itanium 2 9760.html

Order 2....and build yourself a 'special'!! :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, May 25, 2019
    cmccaff1 and Elizabeth23 like this.
Ask a Question