Windows Update site - IE "cannot display the webpage"

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by oldstuff, May 8, 2017.

1. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    Well, I just finished a MS Update attempt and it failed as usual. I also did "not" have auto updates turned on as I never used to have to do that for a successful update. My event viewer shows "no items" in the application, system and IE logs. And only "Success Audit" items in the Security log. I'm going to turn on Auto Updates in the "tell me but don't download or install" mode and see what that brings.

DonP22, Jun 19, 2017
  2. oldstuff

DonP22

DonP22, Jun 19, 2017
  3. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

here are the updates I have for 2003 office and 2007 compatibility, xppro sp3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elizabeth23, Jun 19, 2017
  4. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    I looked at my Event Viewer this morning when first signing on and I had two (same) error messages; one from a sign on this morning and one from a sign on yesterday evening. They were from the "System" events log, Source: Dhcp, Event: 1002 I'll paste the information panel, but I will "X out" the IP address as I'm not comfortable with having that in a public domain.
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 6/20/2017
    Time: 8:54:31 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME
    Description:
    The IP address lease xxx.xxx.xxx.x for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP server xxx.xxx.xxx.x (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't think the above error has anything to do with our current issue, but who knows. Let me know if you've found anything new.

DonP22, Jun 20, 2017
  5. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

that error can be ignored, if you ever disconnect from the internet you will get that one also, if the internet goes down, that comes up , too.

I am at a loss, I have uninstalled the last 5 updates from office 2007 as they were installed about when the issue started, but it did not help, still keeps searching forever, :) will keep trying.

Elizabeth23, Jun 20, 2017
  6. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

well here we go again, I did several things, but from the link below, (I downloaded and installed all of these) one kb3203484 took awhile but then said it had been incorporated into the existing update. :) the rest installed okay

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!3450&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

I had also copied some .dll's into the ie8 folder hidden in c/windows.

whether it was a combo of the updates and/or the copying of the dll's I am not sure
    but I went to updates from the start/all programs menu (microsoft updates) and in less than 5 minutes I had a list of the updates available, there were not any I wanted, no office updates and I did not want any of the others so I clicked on do not show these updates again. and that was that.

=============
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

in command prompt I type in regsvr32 wuapi.dll

and then each one in turn, pressing enter after each and a dialog box will open up saying registration was successful.

version of wuaueng.dll should be 7.6.7600.256 that is the latest for xp.

so register the above files and hopefully microsoft updates will work.

Static Linking
    wuaueng1.dll is statically linked to the following files:

ADVAPI32.dll
    ADVPACK.dll
    COMCTL32.dll
    CRYPT32.dll
    KERNEL32.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    ntdll.dll
    ole32.dll
    OLEAUT32.dll
    RPCRT4.dll
    SHELL32.dll
    SHLWAPI.dll
    USER32.dll
    USERENV.dll
    WININET.dll
    WINSTA.dll
    WINTRUST.dll
    WTSAPI32.dll

I copied each of the above files to the hidden folder for ie8 in c/windows. do not know if it helped as I did the registering, the copying files and the updates at the same time, rebooted and then checked to see if the site worked. kinda scared to check a second time, :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 20, 2017
  7. oldstuff

Michael

I've been having this problem for the past couple months. I'm using XP sp3, Office 2003, and the Office Compatibility Pack (which is why I still check for updates).

Each month I check the day after patch Tuesday and the update check hangs. Each month, after I manually install the updates for the Office Compatibility Pack, both windows/microsoft update works again. During the month, the updater is able to install the updates for windows defender until MS releases new updates for the compatibility pack.

I've tried re-registering the DLLs, recreating the software distribution folder, re-installing the various updates microsoft released to deal with the memory-leak issue in the updater, and even running the microsoft fix-it they released to fix the same issue and none of it worked.

However, each month, after I install the updates manually, automatic updates then can find that months updates and will attempt to install them again. It says it's been successful after it does that. If I check for updates again after that, the updater works and comes back with the no new updates page. So installing the updates manually seems to fix it until the next round of updates for the compatibility pack.

I've turned automatic updates off since this only causes my system to redline after new updates for the compatibility packget released.

I think the problem is with the update process for the office compatibility pack on XP. It only started a couple months ago. If this continues to work, I'll do it a few more times until later this year when the office compatibility check becomes unsupported.

BTW, the updates XP that MS released in May (for wannacry) and in June (for "nation-state" activity) do not get installed through the updater. These must be downloaded and installed manually.

Thanks to all who helped on this issue. I've been following it since May and it's the only relevant, active thread I found.

Michael, Jul 1, 2017
  8. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 2, 2017
  9. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    I just read some of the new posts. Can you post a "detailed" instruction list on how to "manually" download the Office updates from the MS site. When I go there, it's not clear to me which ones fit my XP-SP3 machine/SW and Office Suite 2003/2007. From what I read, it looks like that a "manual" monthly update will be the norm until "non" support date comes. I'm surprised that "when" the MS updater "does" work after manually installing Office updates, they don't cover "known" virus threats ??

DonP22, Jul 10, 2017
  10. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
    that is the home page, in the search box type Office 2003 or whatever you have installed and then press search, look in the last updated column, and look for any after 2014, and/or any that are for xp x86 (or 64bit if that is what you have)
    then do the same for office compatability 2007 and/or 2010,
    then you just download one at a time, you used to be able to add to cart, but that does not work on xp anymore. :)
    =============
    Not sure what you mean by known virus threats???
    ==========
    and have you read the thread below:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/recent-xp-updates-really.933163/

-------------------

I have now been back to the microsoft updates website a couple of times but it will only update to 2014. and if you have ever deleted the Software Distribution folder it will be quite a while (for me 1 hour) for it to search your drive to rebuild the .edb file.

==================

do not worry about trying to install one that may or may not be for your computer, if it does not install it will tell you why, I had done a repair install and it kept telling me that .net 2.0 was not installed, even though I show it installed, so I reinstalled and all my .net updates went through then. :)
    =================
    also when you attempt to go to the ie website, set all security zones to default, I did this as one step to getting microsoft updates to work, and since I only use IE for updates I am not to worried about this and make sure to add microsoft updates website to trusted list.

Elizabeth23, Jul 10, 2017
  11. oldstuff

DonP22

DonP22, Jul 10, 2017
  12. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    Wow, there's a lot of updates to look at ?? Did you install all of them ?? When I go to the update site and type in "office 2003" the list comes up with 209 starting at 4-5-2012 but I can't get it to increment past page 2. I've stopped getting updates via "MS update" since April, have all of the updates I "need" happened since then ?? I'll have to compare what's in my "add/delete programs" list. Also, these new updates for XP seem to be a gift that's unreal; are they legit too ?? I'm feeling a bit over whelmed !!
    The virus issues I mentioned came from a post above (wannacry & nation-state) that do not get installed via the "updater".
    Once you've done all the updates, does the "MS Update" option start to work again ?? BTW, I just went back to the catalog site and got it to update to page 4, but so far no further. Also, all of the dates so far are showing 4-5-2012. There's got to be a better way ?? Also, what are POS XP users ?? There's a lot more stuff about updates in the other link you gave in your above last post. I don't even know where to start. Is there not a "cumulative" update at some point ??

DonP22, Jul 10, 2017
  13. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

there are a couple of unofficial SP4 packages out there but I do not want to install them because they install things I do not want (optional updates)

after sp3 there are approx 200 updates. In the catalog you should be able to click on the last updated column and it should realign to the latest only, it did this for me once, but could not get it to do again, and the pages stick for me too, just have to keep checking, however , when I do a clean install, I have about 130 or so updates already in my portable updates cache and I install all of these offline before I ever go to microsoft updates, and any that I have come across, like those in my previous link I download manually and add them to my portable updates cache.
    In my reply #46, I listed several things I did that let updates work again. since I did them all at once, I do not know which of the things was the kicker, :), but my updates is working now.

I did a repair install because I deleted something I should not have and could not remember what it was so I repaired, but then of course it goes back to my install cd xp pro sp3, so I had to install all the updates again and I no longer disable auto updates, I keep it on manual, not started, I have read in several threads that disabling auto updates should not be done, but I had no problems with this prior to installing the ransomware patch, I did not reinstall it as it was not xp that was targeted, according to several articles.

You can let Portable update program search for all the NORMAL updates and then you will have them to install offline, you need to be connected to the internet for the primary search and it will take quite awhile, then it will tell you what is installed and what needs to be downloaded (all the ones you want even if they are already installed) and it will download the ones you have selected, saving them to its cache, and if you want to install some it will do that also.

Elizabeth23, Jul 10, 2017
    PJAmerica likes this.
  14. oldstuff

PJAmerica

WSUS Offline Update has an extended support release for older platforms (Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista and 8). Just be sure to uncheck the "Verify downloaded updates" and all will download including the latest and recent security updates. It works a charm for fresh installs and will you on good standing with updates for Home Edition, Pro x86 or x64 editions regarding XP.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline922.zip

Also, don't forget this great little gem where you can pick and choose what you want to install and once you are done you can install the latest 2017 security patches manually after.

http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_pack.php?lang=en

PJAmerica, Jul 11, 2017
  15. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    OK, I'm going to install the Portable Updater and see what happens. I have a few questions:
    1. Do I download the "Portup.zip" file and install it on my PC HD ?? Or to my USB external drive ??
    2. Will it search for everything: i.e. XP, IE-8, Office, Media Player, NET Framework, Silverlight, etc. ??
    3. I assume it will ask "where" i want the results to go, i.e. my external USB HD ??
    4. When you say it will search for all "Normal" updates, does that mean I will get all the security updates and everything to make things "work" and be "safe" as possible ??
    Thanks in advance, as I said before trying to do this "manually" when the pages of the MS Update catalog won't even index is very tedious. plus it's very hard to figure out which updates apply to me and which ones don't.

DonP22, Jul 11, 2017
  16. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

I am also using the wsus from PJ America's reply, was because I had a power outage in the middle so I will have to restart it.

Wsus is a bit better that portable updates, and it gives you the option for .net, office, and xp, and service packs. Portable updates sees what is on your pc and what you need but without any selective options until the download list is acquired.

I save the file to my desktop and extract it to my usb, then run from there. Portable updates saves to Cache file, and WSUS saves to Client file

Elizabeth23, Jul 11, 2017
  17. oldstuff

DonP22

Hi Elizabeth,
    So, are you telling me that Portable will get me "everything" I need, but I can't select what I install until "all" of it is downloaded ?? And, WSUS does the same thing, but allows you to choose "before" you start the download ??
    I want which ever one will figure out what I have, what I need and download it. So I don't have to try to figure out which update files to download. Also, do both programs decide what order to install the updates if that is important ?? Is "sequence" of install necessary ?? As you can tell, I'm new to this and want to get the easiest way to keep as current and safe as possible. Once you finish using WSUS for the first time let me know which one you prefer and I'll try that one; I don't need to complicate this process by having "two" choices to start with as long as the one I choose does what I need. Also, I assume that if I try to install something I already have or don't need, the process will tell me so ?? Thanks for your help.

DonP22, Jul 11, 2017
  18. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

Then I would go with Portable updates, I just used wsus and the download was 7.8gb, even after my pc is fully updated with all my programs and such it only comes to 8gb, so I checked and there were a lot of updates that I did not need, the 64bit and WMP11 and IE9 and IE10, so I just deleted it and will stay with portable updates, even after using portable updates there are still some downloads that I get from Microsoft updates.

WSUS took 4.5 hours to finish it will take approximately the same for Portable updates.

Of course the very best way is to get the pc updated and set how you like it and then take an image and forget all this the next time.. :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 12, 2017
  19. oldstuff

PJAmerica

All I had to do was check the legacy tab and check window xp 86. No clue what you are doing but it's not right. should be 1.98GB. No more than 2.2GB.

Capture.PNG

PJAmerica, Jul 12, 2017
  20. oldstuff

Elizabeth23

I checked Office 2003 and xp, all other checkmarks the same, I even had include service packs even though my cd has sp3 slipstreamed into the cd. I included this because a message came up saying something about cleaning up directories if I did not include service packs.

Elizabeth23, Jul 12, 2017
Ask a Question