windows update not opening

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by stvpls, Sep 25, 2020.

1. stvpls

stvpls

i just noticed that the windows update website wont load, is it a temporary fault?

stvpls, Sep 25, 2020
  2. stvpls

Elizabeth23

no, update has been discontinued

Elizabeth23, Sep 26, 2020
    cleverscreenname and stvpls like this.
  3. stvpls

Janice

When did this happen?

Janice, Sep 26, 2020
  4. stvpls

flavallee Guest

The last official updates for Windows XP (all versions) was in April 2014.
    The last unofficial updates for Windows XP (Pro only) was in May 2019.

How far up-to-date is Windows XP in your computer?
    Why are you trying to load and use the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site?

flavallee, Sep 26, 2020
  5. stvpls

j896

You could try portable update. I just tried it still seems to work , It wanted to install a bunch of old net framework updates. ,,,,http://www.portableupdate.com/

j896, Sep 26, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  6. stvpls

j896

Just to update my last post I can't get portupdate to work any more But i did get the yellow shield today on a XP VM to download them net framework updates again..It don't make sense if the update servers are shut down. Mine is set to check and notify dont download...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    j896, Oct 19, 2020
  7. stvpls

cornemuse

cornemuse, Oct 19, 2020
  8. stvpls

priscus

Interesting. I hope anyone using will keep us appraised of their experience/satisfaction.

Not in need of an XP download at present, (in fact I think I still have, in stock, one unused installation disk) but I will make a note of this in case of need.

priscus, Oct 20, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  9. stvpls

Janice

Mine is also set to 'Notify but don't download'. Three days ago I also got the yellow shield notification and Microsoft Update offered 5 updates for download. Four of them were to do with Daylight Saving Time changes in some countries and I discarded them. When I was offered this one I installed it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ity-update-for-internet-explorer-april-9-2019

After installation the yellow shield disappeared. Obviously, update servers are still working.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Janice, Oct 20, 2020
  10. stvpls

ClippyBeer

At first I was intrigued.....and subsequently disappointed.

I attemped to install this on my Compaq Presario V2000 which came with XP (it even has a 'Designed for Windows XP' sticker on it).
    [​IMG]

Intel Pentium M 715 @1.5 GHz
    512 MB ram DRR 133MHz
    Intel 82852 GME graphics

I made an of image of the existing XP SP3 Media Center Edition 2005, erased the hard drive, and proceeded to install the ISO from that site following their instructions.

Crash and burn. Wouldn't work. Boots to "DETECTING HARDWARE..NTDETECT FAILED" Reboots. Repeats.

Don't waste your time, 2 hours I'll never get back. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing..Oh wait, I've installed XP on this same PC from a different ISO, as well as countless OSes on several PCs (Linux, XP, 7 and 10) with no issues, well except the usual hunting for drivers post install.

Drive imaging is the best invention since sliced bread. Time to restore this same PC to exact state it was in before this experiment <8 minutes. I am typing this on that same PC.

I haven't seen an XP install ISO in the wild in a long time, plenty of Windows 10 though. I was hoping for something more up to date than what I have but oh well

ClippyBeer, Oct 21, 2020
  11. stvpls

Janice

https://softlay.net/

There is an XP at this link. The 11th item down the list of 'POPULAR DOWNLOADS'. I have this particular one installed in a laptop. When I installed this about 2 years ago it worked without any activation. No WGA activation message was sent by Microsoft. I found no spyware, malware or any other evidence of tampering. It works perfectly even today with all available updates installed.

Janice, Oct 22, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  12. stvpls

stvpls

you should try to download a normal wxp iso, just look on torrent search sites such as pirate
    nice machine i hope youre not using it on the towel, the fan cant suck in air

stvpls, Nov 9, 2020
  13. stvpls

Connor McMahon

That's odd. I bought a V2000 just like this for my grandma and used that same Windows XP iso. Everything went well. Only difference is hers has a Sempron.

Connor McMahon, Nov 24, 2020
Ask a Question