Windows stalls for about 40 minutes before icons show up on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Sharry, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Sharry

Sharry

I recently got a message saying I needed to recover Windows XP on my laptop. I'd never had to do this before but I think I managed to do it right....BUT that put me back with Service pack 2. I brought it up to date with Service pack 3 and installed the MANY updates that had to be downloaded. NOW I have another problem - when I turn on my computer it asks for my password to begin. I type that it and it opens up to my wallpaper screen with NO ICONS or START or TASK BAR or ANYTHING. It hangs for about 40 minutes like this and then POP...the icons appear and I can start Windows or play a game, etc
    How can I fix this problem :confused: Please be simple in your directions. :)

Sharry, Mar 16, 2014
  2. Sharry

Elizabeth23

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

I would scrutinize what you have loading on StartUp. You need to see if you have programs loading during boot process which might be changed to on demand.
    With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig.
    Another useful feature of the program is that you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information about the item selected.
    When using Autoruns you will need to click on the "Logon" tab to see what is running at start-up.

What is your current antivirus??

do you have any other scanners installed??

do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

Elizabeth23, Mar 17, 2014
  3. Sharry

fingerfood12345

How much RAM do you have? If you have a small amount of RAM, your system will do a lot of swapping back and forth with the swap file; I have seen 10-15 minute bootups on other systems, and were straightened out with a bit more RAM.

fingerfood12345, Mar 18, 2014
Ask a Question