Windows File Protection, USB driver & AntiVirus installation error.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by thisissouvik, Feb 5, 2014.

1. thisissouvik

thisissouvik

Folks,

I have 3 different issues which I've been experiencing on my Windows Xp Media Center Edition laptop & need you expert's help on, briefing them below one after the other:

1. Windows File Protection Error:

See Windows_File_Protection_Error.jpg for screenshot of the error.

Suggest remedial action to fix this please?

2. Windows asks for USB driver while other Windows Xp laptop doesn't:

I recently purchased a USB port multiplier(single male plug attached to multiple female plugs for having multiple female sockets) from ebay & Windows asks for drivers to get it working while other Windows Xp instances(my friend's) doesn't.

Suggest a fix pls?

3. My recently purchased copy of McAfee Total Protection(Home User License) fails to install throwing the below error:

See McAfee_2013_Install_Error.jpg for error screenshot. McAfee advices when the problem # 1(Windows File Protection error) is solved, it would fix this McAfee issue.

Please provide your suggestions?

Many Thanks,
    -- Souvik

Attached Files:

thisissouvik, Feb 5, 2014
  2. thisissouvik

Elizabeth23

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0d?msgId=1897b296-2dda-4963-b171-09afd1cb1660

see above, last answer by A. User.

you cannot run sfc/scannow with a sp2 cd when you have sp3, installed. you will get a lot of errors and WFP will complain a lot.

Like A. User I am not running media center so I can not upload any files pertaining to media center to my sky drive for you to download.

One action you might do, after following A. User's suggestion from the above thread is uninstall sp3, ignore the warnings about programs not working you will install it again after running sfc.

then when sfc is completed, you can reinstall sp3 and all the updates pertinent to sp3, which are considerable, but this way your dll cache will be reconstituted.

One other point, McAfee is not considered to be a good antivirus, but if you have paid for it and cannot get a refund, you might as well use it, but I do not believe that McAfee is going to continue to support xp after april 2014.

You might want to check on that.

That is it for your first question, I will make another post for your second question after a bit of research.

Elizabeth23, Feb 6, 2014
  3. thisissouvik

Elizabeth23

for the usb multiplier question:

was the xp system, you tested this on and it worked fine, running media center??

Media center is based on xp pro but is strictly for media,

Have you gone to device manager and checked for any yellow exclamation points??

if so have you let windows see if a driver is available??

I need the name, make, model, and model number of the multiplier, please.

Elizabeth23, Feb 6, 2014
Ask a Question