Windows Defender won't update using WEPOS

I'v been getting security updates & Defender updates automatically by using WEPOS. Starting a week ago, Defender won't update. When I try to install: KB915597 Definition (1.293.491.0)
WD Update.png

it doesn't install. When I open the Event Viewer, I get this message:
Defender Event Log.png

How can I install this & subsequent updates?
Thank you in advance!

Thank you for your response. However, I have no trouble "getting" the update, as shown in the first image. I get the error message (2nd image) when I try to install.

Thank you again!. I checked that post, but the error message is different. I've been trying to research this, but even googling "Definition 1.293.491.0" only takes me to the Microsoft catalog for Microsoft Endpoint Protection & has a different KB number. I also found a "solution" that said to run the following at the command prompt:

cd %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender
MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures
MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

I tried this, but to no avail. It might be that Microsoft is no longer sending definitions to Windows Defender for WinXP...I don't know.

Do you have a suggestion as to what antivirus & antimalware I should use for Windows XP.
Thank you again!

I'v been getting security updates & Defender updates automatically by using WEPOS. Starting a week ago, Defender won't update. When I try to install: KB915597 Definition (1.293.491.0)
View attachment 538
it doesn't install. When I open the Event Viewer, I get this message:
View attachment 539
How can I install this & subsequent updates?
Thank you in advance!
MS made later definitions of MSE and windows defender in-compatible with xp as of april 23rd. I suggest you hop on msfn to find the MSE updater. BTW don't use 360 security it's trash, there are better AVs like clamwin + clam sentinel ;) I ditched all big Antiviruses anyways

Last edited:
WindowsXPforever, we are all aware of how much you hate 360, that is fine, but will you please stop trashing it for those of us who like it? you can just list the ones you like and I can list the ones I like and that will be it.

WindowsXPforever, we are all aware of how much you hate 360, that is fine, but will you please stop trashing it for those of us who like it? you can just list the ones you like and I can list the ones I like and that will be it.
You like it, you use, i'm fine that you use it, but recommending them to others is a big mistake IMO ;p

Back