Windows cannot find wifi adapter drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by ken, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ken

ken

I have a Ralink Tech 802.11n wireless lan card. At least this is how the Device Manager describes it under properties, although it is on a USB stick. I have lost the installation disk. I downloaded the correct driver I think. It comes as a .cab file.
    I tried to install the driver by choosing the select a location to search option in the installation menu since I had no disk. The file is in my downloads folder. However when the wizard searched in downloads it says that there were no files for drivers. I tried burning the file to disk. Again the wizard found nothing to install.
    There must be something I am doing wrong.

ken, Feb 17, 2015
  2. ken

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NE...-80211n-Wireless-Driver-1471-for-XP-x86.shtml

Hello Ken,

I assume you need the 32 bit driver for XP.

The URL above will grab an installer stub - run that and I suppose, see what happens".

I have a Realtek (Ralink - same thing) install disk that talks to XP, Vista, Win 7 but it is for a USB wi-fi pickup from a another wi-fi modem.

Probably not too large to convert to an ISO file and email it if you are really stuck.

No promise that it will work but it is for an 802.11n.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Feb 18, 2015
  3. ken

Elizabeth23

Ken, what is the make, model, and model number of pc??

laptop or desktop??

Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2015
  4. ken

ken

I will try downloading the driver tomorrow from the site you suggest. I downloaded a driver I thought was the correct one also from Softonic. I downloaded it into the Downloads folder and then told Windows driver update installer to look in that folder but it says there is nothing there it can use. The instructions at the download site for installing are the same as I used. But perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I have two old desktops running Windows XP one with a dual boot of Lubuntu. I have only tried installing the adapter on the one with the dual boot but from within the Windows xp operating system. Some adapters will not work with Linux OSes.. It is a Seanix Small Form Factor with Pentium 4 processor 2GB memory made in 2005. Seanix is a defunct Canadian company. I have an IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre from around the same era. Maybe I will see what I can do with it. I have it already on the wireless system using a cheapo adapter I bought from China for about six bucks I think. I was not even sure it would ever get it here. It got here and even had an installation disk and worked right from the get go and still works fine.
    I am ordering another for about ten dollars, so I will use it if I cannot get the driver installed. I just cant fathom why the wizard cannot find and unpack the .cab file with the driver in it.
    Thanks for the help..

ken, Feb 18, 2015
  5. ken

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2015
  6. ken

ken

no luck so far

I downloaded the driver from the site suggested. Sorry to be a bit late replying. I have been busy doing other things and it is not that crucial since I have three other computers here. I had the old Seanix connected to wireless with a different adapter at another location so it is just a question of getting the drivers to install with this one. The other driver worked on both the XP and AntX (Linux) systems.I tried the adapter on another computer with Lubuntu. The drivers were already in that computer but I guess it is not compatible with Linux since when I inserted the security key there was no wifi system found in range. The computer was right next door to the router. I had the same problem as before when I downloaded the new driver. The wizard could not find it. I tried burning it to disk but it could not find it on the disk either. I thought the installer should work with the .cab file.
    I will try the other link you gave now. Thanks for the help.

ken

ken, Feb 23, 2015
  7. ken

Elizabeth23

ken, any update??

Elizabeth23, Mar 1, 2015
Ask a Question