Windows backup and restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Bernie, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Bernie

Bernie

I recently backed up my data files on an external hard disk using Windows Backup prior to reinstalling Windows due to malware problems and I named the backup file "Data Backup 11 march 2015".

Although "My Computer" shows that the backup file exists on the external hard disk, when I go through the "Restore" procedure and get to the "What to Restore" section, it does not show my backup file and just says "File"- "No entries found" and no matter what I do, I cannot gain entry into my backup file either through the Restore facility or My Computer. I am not sure whether I followed the correct "Backup" procedure in the first instance or not but I do know my files were backed up and would like to know how I can access them again. I am not too bothered about getting them re-installed into my PC via the "Restore" facility but I would like to access the files again. Any idea how I can do this?

Bernie, Apr 13, 2015
  2. Bernie

Elizabeth23

I am not sure as I have not used ntbackup but maybe the links below may help, and also remember that the backup has to be restored to the same version of xp, for example home to home, not home to pro.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ackup-on/4c3ac6eb-c8f5-4db9-ba56-e158e057f828

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/320820

let me know if this helps an if not, are you getting any specific error message??

==============
    read below for future backup:

Using NT Backup (Courtesy of Jose Ibarra)

If you are using/relying on the built in NT Backup to backup your system, that is primitive technology (obviously - since it will ask you for a floppy when it is done). If you have a disaster (even a minor one), you are going to have a big problem trying to recover your stuff if you don't have a floppy drive - and maybe even if you do have a floppy drive you are very likely still to a big problem if you need to restore your stuff.

If you want to make a backup, an image or some kind of clone of your system, it makes sense to use modern technology - and that technology is not built in to XP.

There are lots of popular options for third party XP backup and imaging software(s).

A popular one folks seem to like is from Acronis.

With that (free 30 day trial) you backup, you can make a bootable CD or bootable USB (that's modern, huh?) and use that in the event of a disaster.

They used to have a totally free version - maybe not anymore - just the 30 day trial, then you have to buy it, but it is well respected.

It is so much more robust than the XP backup, it is laughable.

There are many other options if you do a little Googling...

Here are some products that other forum users suggest might be appealing. Use Google to find them and read about their features, and capabilities. Some have free versions or you can purchase them to get more features:

If you have a Western Digital drive, you can get a version of Acronis True Image free from WD:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Or you can obtain backup and cloning software separately (this is not a comprehensive list and is no particular order; some are free, others not):

Acronis True Image Home
    Easeus ToDo Backup Free
    Paragon Drive Copy or Partition Manager Personal
    Casper
    Norton Ghost

Some disk cloning software ideas for you to Google:

XXClone
    Marcium Reflect Free
    DriveImageXML
    Acronis True Image Home 11
    Easeus ToDo Backup
    Paragon Drive Copy or Partition Manager Personal
    Casper
    Norton Ghost

Whatever method you choose, it is prudent to test your method from end to end to be sure it works.

You can create a temporary folder somewhere on your system and copy a bunch of files into it, perform your backup, then delete the temporary folder and be sure that you can recover it from your backup.

The day you need your backup/restore process to work is not the day to find out it doesn't work.

Elizabeth23, Apr 13, 2015
  3. Bernie

Bernie

I just thought you would like to know that I was able to reinstate my backup files using the proceedure outlined in the link you gave me at "answers.microsoft.com". Many thanks once again.:)

Bernie

Bernie, Apr 16, 2015
  4. Bernie

Elizabeth23

Thanks for the update, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 16, 2015
Ask a Question