Windows 7 most used Windows edition, followed by 10 and XP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by towgers, May 3, 2017.

1. towgers

towgers

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Windows 7 is the most used, 10 comes in next, xp is third, although its fallen a little.

[​IMG]

Seems that embarrassment that is Windows 8/8.1 is slowly being eradicated. 10 is pretty bad too, but at very least 10 tried to return to the original windows traditional interface with a start menu, start button and task bar. 8 was a pile of trash clearly meant for tablets.

towgers, May 3, 2017
  2. towgers

Jody Thornton

Actually, tweaked to it's maximum, Windows 8 RTM is a fine OS (more stable than 7). I rid of the Metro-esque stuff (and all of the app packages), installed Classic Shell, and use Server 2012 updates to patch the OS. Besides, I have no CPU limitations like 7 or 8.1, nor do I have any telemetry.

So no, Windows 8, after some tweaking is far from a pile of trash. That's like saying Vista is trash without trying SP2 of the x64 bulld. Also a good system.

Here is my Windows 8 desktop.

Attached Files:

Jody Thornton, May 3, 2017
  3. I honestly think 8/8.1 is amazing once you add third party themes and the start menu with classic shell, it's almost as good as 7, however, themes have limits, for example: windows xp themes will not have the proper minimize, though it's not as bad as 10 where most elements aren't even themeable.

Skeleton11223, May 6, 2017
  4. towgers

priscus

I still have an unused copy of W8 Pro around. Do M$ still honour the free upgrade to 8.1?

Hurting for free time. Don't have three years to spend tweaking it, hopefully following where others have already pioneered the way, it can now be done more expeditiously.

priscus, May 6, 2017
  5. towgers

trimis

I know you have used XP and Win7 (at least in the past) so was hoping you could answer some questions for me. Does Win 7 suffer from the same sort of outdated embedded CA security certificates store like XP? Can its store still be updated? Does Win 7 throw up 101 security errors when you surf the net using a chrome/chromium browser?

trimis, Apr 14, 2020
  6. towgers

Jody Thornton

To my knowledge - no. We used Windows 7 and 10 at work, and both Firefox and Chrome seem to NOT exhibit any security certificate errors.

Jody Thornton, Apr 17, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  7. towgers

trimis

Many thanks for this info. What about the embedded CA security certificates store...can it still be updated, or has EOL/EOS of Win 7 ended that?

trimis, Apr 19, 2020
  8. towgers

Frost The Loser

That is pretty interesting! Used Windows 10, it is pretty good... but it doesn't hold up to the legacy Windows OSes(XP, Vista, ME, 7 etc)

Frost The Loser, May 3, 2020
  9. towgers

Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert, May 13, 2020
  10. towgers

flavallee Guest

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit (up-to-date to May 2020) is still my favorite operating system, so I still use it in a few of my computers.

I use Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 64-bit in most of my computers because it's what we're needing more and more to rely on.

I still use Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit in one of my computers for testing purposes and because of nostalgia.

flavallee, May 13, 2020
  11. towgers

trimis

trimis, May 13, 2020
  12. towgers

Computer semi-expert

The fascinating thing is that macOS is NOT as virus-proof as most people think. Earlier this year I heard Kim Komando mention on her radio show that in 2019, macOS had more viruses than Windows. Of course, Linux doesn't have enough viruses to make it on... :D

Computer semi-expert, May 14, 2020
Ask a Question