Windows 7 installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by 407Mainman, Aug 9, 2014.

1. 407Mainman

407Mainman

While this is not exactly a Windows XP related thread, I sure would appreciate if someone out there in Windows Technical Land could help me with this issue.

Back in September 2013 I installed a new WD Caviar SE 250HDD. About two weeks ago I happen to notice that the HDD was making a scrubbing noise. I also noted that the boot process was repeating itself over and over. The re-boot process was moving so fast that I wasn't able to see what the error message on the BSOD was. Thus, I pulled the HDD out and connected it via an external USB connector and ran a CHKDSK /r scan, the log said that multiple bytes sectors could not be read.

This disk contains multiple Word Document files along with many CAD drawings, plus several software programs I would like to transfer to another HDD.

I have two 500G SATA drives and wanted to connect one to my system via a RAID Controller card but this Controller card only has two SATA ports.

My system reads the SATA ASUS DVD-ROM drive and the 500G SATA HDD but I am not able to boot the system from the 250G WinXP partition I set up. And from what I can tell, the drive is labelled as "Active." I also set up a 250G partition for Windows 7. Yet when I attempted to install Windows 7 Pro on this partition nothing happened.

I inserted the Windows 7 disk in the CD drive and booted my machine. Moments later the Windows 7 logo screen appeared; yet the Windows 7 installation process did not start as it did when I installed Windows 7 on a newer maching which had Windows Vista. All I got was something like the Windows 7 desktop page.

Surely this system-- according to the system requirements provided by Microsoft -- can run Windows 7 even if the CPU is only 1.2GHz. Or can it?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

407Mainman, Aug 9, 2014
  2. 407Mainman

Elizabeth23

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

this link is for the win7 upgrade advisor to see if your system can use win7 (the xp pc)

https://www.google.com/#q=dual+boot+xp+and+win7

above link is search page for dual boot of xp and win7 if your pc can handle win7.

===============

as for BSOD you need to restart and tap F8 to reach the advanced boot menu and click on:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

that way the bsod will stay on the screen so you can see the stop code and any files related to the bsod

Elizabeth23, Aug 10, 2014
  3. 407Mainman

Jojo

Your HD is definitely on its way out.

Back up important files now and buy a new HD.

Buy a decent mechanical, not SSD.

Jojo, Aug 10, 2014
Ask a Question