Windows 10S

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by priscus, May 14, 2017.

1. priscus

priscus

priscus, May 14, 2017
  2. priscus

Jody Thornton

Well it appears to be Microsoft's answer to the Chromebook. But it can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
    But I would say yes. Vendors no longer see software packages in and of themselves as profitable (unless they're on a subscription - and many won't go for that). Apps are the future, because they simply act as a conduit to other revenue generating services.

Jody Thornton, May 15, 2017
  3. priscus

priscus

Just had the bad experience (only on one of my systems) of Windows 10 update booting C Cleaner off my system!

Remediation easy, thanks to posting by Piriform, that Google quickly finds.

Very arrogant of M$ methinks.

Appalling lie of their notification that it "won't work with this version of Windows": Piriform's slight name change of the executable, to by-pass MS rejecting it, and it works fine.

GGGRRRRR!

I have been told it is M$ trying to stop users running registry cleaners on W10. Something that would not be necessary if Windows itself cleaned up properly.

Some people on here won't like this, but thank heavens for Linux!

priscus, May 15, 2017
  4. priscus

Jody Thornton

Hey, you should be free to express your thoughts. I'm actually one of those that thinks everyone SHOULD ditch XP, but I still come here to see what's going on. I no longer see it as Microsoft pushing their agenda. They're a company that sells OS products to be profitable. You need to create a need. No one worried that Windows 95 supplanted Win3x.

Now I hate Windows 10. But many other companies are going the "apps" route. Everyone is developing mobile-first so Microsoft is not alone in this manner.

Jody Thornton, May 16, 2017
  5. priscus

Mike_Walsh

Windows, Linux, Mac, BSD; who cares about what the OS is, so long as it works for you & your needs, and works with you.....instead of fighting you at every turn?

I'm with Jody, in that I too believe XP is no longer safe to use. Having said which, I used it for the whole of its supported lifetime; I think I'm safe in saying I had my money's-worth out of it...

Anyway, every OS ever built has its strengths & weaknesses. One may be better at some things.....another may be far better at something else. In my case, I can still run a lot of my older XP apps under WINE in 'Puppy'. For the last few years of XP, I ditched all the standard apps/programs, and ran everything as a 'Portable App.' And for some strange reason, these appear to run far more stable under WINE than the standard equivalents do.

Works for me.

Th 'standalone' app/program in the Windows world is steadily falling out of favour; the subscription model is the method that bigger companies are now turning to, since it guarantees a steady revenue stream. Go figure.

And it really boggles the mind, when you research it, and realise that almost all Linux software is developed for the love of doing so, without any intention of making it generate an income...

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, May 17, 2017
  6. This is literally worse than Chrome OS. Why?
    -Has only the windows store which has pretty bad apps, Chrome OS has the play store.
    -Can't change your default search engine.
    -Has edge while Chrome OS has chrome.
    -Also has chrome web store which has quite a few nice things.
    -Better theming potential, you can change the title bar of chrome and the shelf/taskbar is invisible so you can use a background to change it easily, you can also change the color, but the colors are very limited, you can also change stuff to the material design in chrome://flags.
    -Chrome://flags also has a ton of options that are very useful.
    -A few more reasons I don't feel like listing.

Skeleton11223, May 30, 2017
  7. priscus

towgers

Essentially its a locked down Windows 10. Yey.

towgers, May 31, 2017
  8. You know it's more than just locked down when it's even more locked down than Chrome OS.

Skeleton11223, Jun 1, 2017
  9. priscus

towgers

Where even is Microsoft's selling point for this?

Especially when ChromeOS now supports android apps and play store. Android having such a MASSIVE library makes ChromeOS a really good Windows alternative. Why would anyone want Windows 10S?

towgers, Jun 2, 2017
  10. I have no idea. Also, soon there will be an Android app that will make windows programs work.

Skeleton11223, Jun 3, 2017
  11. priscus

priscus

"
    an Android app that will make windows programs work."

:DWill they call it "Where Microsoft has failed...."?:D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    priscus, Jun 3, 2017
  12. priscus

towgers

I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 or so years if Windows keeps declining in popularity if Microsoft ditches Windows as it is today and makes Windows 2030 or whatever an android fork produced by Microsoft that runs APK files and such.

towgers, Jun 6, 2017
Ask a Question