Win7 without abandoning XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by popsmoke, Jan 31, 2021.

1. popsmoke

popsmoke

One of the replies to my post on MYPAL concerned throwing in the towel and jumping to WIN7. Remember that if do this, you do not have to totally abandon ship, you can create a multi-boot machine. Several of my newer machines (post 2007) are tri-boots (XP, WIN 7, WIN 81) and next summer I am building a 4-booter to include Win10. Remember that WIN 7 has annoyances of its own, including no native ability to instantly see listed folder sizes -- which you are going to really miss especially if you have already installed the free 3rd party FOLDERSIZE service on XP!! -- no fully native DOS, and a notification area that never works properly. You can however run more recent browsers which is a plus. Many sites give the directions. Basically (summary only!!!): 1. Create a new empty and properly sized logical partition after your current one for the WIN7. This may require a new drive and a free program like MINITOOL. 2. Boot from a WIN 7 CD or DVD. 3. Choose CUSTOM. Specify the new empty partition as destination. 4. Let the install complete. Takes a while. 5. Your machine will now boot from the new WIN 7 (2nd logical drive in order) partition. On startup you will now find a horrid looking "choose" menu allowing either WIN 7 (default) or -- not kidding -- something called "OLDER VERSION WINDOWS" which is a rude reference to XP. 6. You can change the default boot order and, if you like, rename XP back to its correct name with a wonderful free program known as EASYBCD. Good luck on your adventure. DISCLAIMER: Post created in XP on my daily driver, a Thinkpad T42p, 2gb max ram, 320 gb WD PATA drive and a transplanted screen from a T42 parts donor which in all honesty had no further use for it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    popsmoke, Jan 31, 2021
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  2. popsmoke

Lockherup

I will be making a competeing post to this.. How to go from WinXP to Linux..

If anyone has lasted this long with XP they either know something or don't want change for the worse. I would never suggest they take up Win7/10 at this point, or at any other point really unless it's tied to your employment. End the misery and get Linux

Lockherup, Feb 1, 2021
  3. popsmoke

cornemuse

Swappable hdd drive trays. What I do, , ,

cornemuse, Feb 1, 2021
    Lockherup and Elizabeth23 like this.
  4. popsmoke

Lockherup

That's close to what I do but I find the tray slows things down so I just leave a SATA cable dangling out and plug in whatever disk I need. On my main laptop I dual boot XP and Mint 64 since it's not practical to sawp the HDD. I keep both operating systems in laptop and tower and couldn't imagine going to back to just one system and one OS.

Lockherup, Feb 1, 2021
  5. popsmoke

cornemuse

cornemuse, Feb 2, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  6. popsmoke

Hunter2021

It's pretty much required to use Windows 7 in conjunction with Windows XP. XP never had support for USB 3.0. So you will need to log onto Windows 7 to make use of it!

Hunter2021, Feb 3, 2021
  7. popsmoke

Lockherup

USB 3 works fine here, I have a USB3 external swap dock and it was plug and play

Lockherup, Feb 6, 2021
  8. popsmoke

Lockherup

too much bs for me. I have a large open case with drives that face out and changing the cable over is two seconds and still the fastest speed because its the shortest cable with nothing in between . or I can keep multiple drives hooked up and just boot from any selected drive

Lockherup, Feb 6, 2021
  9. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

This is the second thread that you have stated USB 3 doesn’t work with XP. It does see below. Windows XP is intrinsically faster than Windows 7 using USB 3, because it has to run less processes and is more stable, as when a file has transferred it has actually transferred – not the wishful thinking of Windows 7.

Windows 7 is just an overlay on top of XP with the Office worker lock-downs of Windows 2000 and all customisation removed. You can pull some of the functionality back on Windows 7, by using the Secret Hidden Administrator Account, so you no longer have silly possession problems, but the fact remains it is a very poor relation to XP.

The only problem with XP is software developers deliberately disabling installation of their software on XP. With High-End expensive programs like Revit, AutoCad, MicroStation or Inventor along with all the CNC derived stuff, there is enough money involved for people to crack the installation package, so they will run on XP or NT4. With cheapo stuff like Office-Enterprise or all the Adobe stuff, people just use a locked down Windows 7 & within an XP installation.

USB 3 on XP.jpg

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 6, 2021
  10. popsmoke

Hunter2021

It's not true. Windows 7 is in many ways better for some tasks like gaming. Take Project64 (Nintendo64 emulator for example). In XP, maximized mode places the window very oddly, but in Win7 the window touches the edges of the screen just right...

Hunter2021, Feb 6, 2021
  11. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

Yes it is true. USB 3 is supported by Windows XP. Why do you persist in trying to spread mis-information on the forum?

You then comment about a specific Nintendo64 emulator that you find runs better on Windows 7 compared to Windows XP. I couldn’t comment, as I have no experience of anything Nintendo related. I made my generalised comments about XP directly related to the hundred of billions of dollars worth of software, that adults use in industry to run and build the world and the software that adults use.

Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. popsmoke

Hunter2021

Windows XP officially does NOT support USB 3.0. There are few device manufacturers that manage some effort to get it working on XP. BUT overall Microsoft/Intel stated that USB 3.0 was never meant to work in XP.

Read here for further proof:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-windows-xp-support-usb-3-0.2678086/

Hunter2021, Feb 6, 2021
  13. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

Utter drivel. I posted a screen shot of my XP Machine working with USB 3.

The link you provided has nothing to do with Windows XP not supporting USB 3. It is a question by a user like you, that doesn’t understand what drivers are.

I really suggest you learn some basics about computers and how hardware interacts with other hardware and the operating system.

Your idiotic statement: “Windows XP officially does NOT support USB 3.0.” has no meaning whatsoever. You can use any hardware on any operating system if the manufacturer provides drivers for that operating system. That’s why there are people running M2 Raid 6 arrays on XP. That why there are people running 10Gbit network cards on XP.

Why are you on this Forum? Why did you just join? What is your Goal? Why provide links that just prove my point? Is it just to put people off using XP? It’s really clear you haven’t got a clue what you are talking about.

14. popsmoke

cornemuse

Yes, and Microsoft says "Windows XP *officially* does NOT exist anymore, , , ,"

Usb 3 works for me, Firefox works for me, etc, etc,

cornemuse, Feb 7, 2021
  15. popsmoke

Hunter2021

I don't know. I am gonna trust some anonymous poster on some message board or Intel's official word?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005506/software/chipset-software.html

"The Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver is not supported in Windows* XP or Windows* Vista. For these operating systems, make sure your BIOS settings have the xHCI Mode set to Auto or Smart Auto. This step reconfigures the USB 3.0 ports to function as USB 2.0 ports using the native Windows* EHCI driver."

Maybe some of u got lucky with AMD motherboards. Ppl have gotten USB 3.0 to work with AMD's under XP, but never Intel... If anyone of u did got it working with Intel mobos, you're basically using the USB 3.0 port like a USB 2.0.

Hunter2021, Feb 8, 2021
  16. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

I provided you a screen shot of my computer. I use Dual CPU Supermicro’s and Xeon’s. If you had taken the time to look instead of trying to sound clever, which you are singularly failing to do. You would have seen that I do have the USB eXtensible Host Controller running. I am using the VIA not Intel.

So the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver is supported in Windows XP.

I can total understand that you may never of heard of Supermicro or Viatech though.

In the real world with real times: My USB 3 is comparable to my Esata speed. Externally I can transfer a 10gigabyte folder containing thousands of files in just under 8 minutes. If I use USB 2 it is much slower. Obviously transferring to non M2 Raid increases transfer times.

So no I am not using my USB 3 port like a USB 2.

Regarding me being an anonymous poster. I have been on the forum for well over a year and have contributed help to quite a few people. Unlike you who has just joined and has spouted provable rubbish. Or you have used half truths to lie, such as there isn’t an Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver; But there is a Viatech one.

Feel free to stick a screen shot of your XP machine up. I have a feeling all my machines will blow anything you could build well away in speed. There is a lady on this forum that runs Quad processor Supermicro boards and does real time chemical factory engineering using XP. Many of the forum members have given advice and help to literally hundreds of people. So the wealth of knowledge on the forum is extensive, unfortunately you haven’t added to it.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 9, 2021
  17. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

I have just tested and in real world time my USB 3 line is transferring a 4gigabyte (4000MB) MKV video file in 32 seconds from and external Sata RAID 5 array to an internal Solid state RAID 0 Array.

So I would say although not anywhere the fastest theoretical limit of USB 3, which is 625MB/s and could therefore transfer the file in 7 seconds theoretically. It can not be running at the speed of USB 2 because at it’s fastest, the theoretically limit of USB 2 could transfer the file is at 60MB/s and would therefore take 66 seconds.

So when you tell everyone on the forum that they are not really transferring at USB 3 speeds, it’s not really true is it. You made an absurd statement and then doubled down while clutching at straws by posting a link that one particular hardware manufacturer doesn’t provide drivers. You do realise that Windows XP was developed by Microsoft don’t you? It wasn’t developed by Intel.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 9, 2021
  18. popsmoke

Hunter2021

Hahahaa! U using AMD mobo? Imagine someone unknowingly bought an Intel mobo thinking they would get the full potential of USB 3.0. If I am an idiot, then ye must truly be a fool! Why u gotta use an outdated system when Win7 or 8.1 in many ways much better and don't need a hack to get USB 3.0 workin like 2.0 in XP?

Hunter2021, Feb 10, 2021
  19. popsmoke

cornemuse

Hmmm, why are you even here??

cornemuse, Feb 10, 2021
    Mr Siamese Cat likes this.
  20. popsmoke

Mr Siamese Cat

To be honest Cornemuse, I think Hunter2021 joined the site on February 3rd 2021 purely to push a couple of really poor quality motherboards, which he left links for, when he started the thread:

Can still build NEW Windows XP machine in 2021!

Apparently “another user” archaem joined at exactly the same time and a sock puppet discussion ensued.

I don’t believe he is just ignorant of computers and how they work. There aren’t many people who wouldn’t recognise the names Supermicro, Xeon or Viatech. I think it is that he is actively disingenuous. He appears to be giving really odd and wrong advice across the forum, which although people are correcting is of some concern.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 10, 2021
Ask a Question