Win XP Update Trick

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by tjg79, Aug 18, 2014.

1. tjg79

tjg79

tjg79, Aug 18, 2014
  2. tjg79

Jody Thornton

Yes, it's been around prior to April. It has worked VERY successfully, since POSReady 2009 is the exact codebase as Windows XP (32-bit), same serivce packs, everything!

However, you'll find many here meet this with disapproval. That's rather unfortunate because they would rather stick to tried and true Microsoft advice. Usually, I'd agree with that sentiment. However, in this case Microsoft wants XP dead. When Microsoft execs see all of us posting actively on a Windows XP forum in August 2014, they seeth and want forums like this to disappear.

Trust me, Microsoft WANTS XP DEAD! So why would you follow their advice when it's not congruent with your interests? The other funny thing. I would like to think that XP user types that are bravely chartering their own course. Why wouldn't you follow the same course when obtaining updates?

Jody Thornton, Aug 18, 2014
  3. tjg79

Elizabeth23

@tjg79, the point is that the updates are not for xp desktops or laptops they are for point of sell (POS) cash registers etc. by using these updates you are actually in violation of your license.

on THIS search page there are many, many discussions on this issue , please read and then make your own decision. :)

==

Elizabeth23, Aug 18, 2014
  4. tjg79

eatup

Seriously, why would anyone try updates with questionable compatibility? Just install Microsoft Security Essentials version 4.4.304 and use a non-IE internet browser and you'll be just as safe! (Ensure that you set windows update to manual though b/c Microsoft will try to sneak in a later MSE ver thru windows update which contains the annoying EoS nagging!)

eatup, Aug 18, 2014
  5. tjg79

billcu

I have x64 and see that there's a trick for that too. But I don't quite get how you do it. What's SQFE2 or whatever the update is that you're supposed to somehow use a /x with?

billcu, Aug 19, 2014
  6. tjg79

Jody Thornton

And you are worried about that because? What is is that you owe Microsoft? By the way, did you know that these updates/patches are the SAME one you'd receive with expensive paid support?

I understand the notion of being honest, but Microsoft has no issues projecting fear mongering regarding attacks by continuing to use XP towards its users. And everyone here is saying, "Why would I want to use questionable updates?", but they aren't questionable. They are perfectly compatible. POSReady 2009 and 32-bit XP are the one and the same OS.

Jody Thornton, Aug 19, 2014
  7. tjg79

Elizabeth23

@Jody Thornton, the choice is yours.

Elizabeth23, Aug 19, 2014
Ask a Question