Win XP installation on a newer computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Saddles, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Saddles

Saddles

I have a mini PC with Intel board D525MW currently running Windows 10. Trying to use it for an old HP broad format printer that has no drivers beyond Windows XP. Which is the best, *most reliable* bet? ( I will deal with "How to" details as a separate issue)
    1. Clean stand-alone Windows XP installation
    2. Dual boot win XP and win 19
    3. Virtual machine with win XP

Thanks

Saddles, Jan 17, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  2. Saddles

Lockherup

I think this is more of a personal decision based on your needs. Neither of those options are drasctically better than the other, it's all up to what suits you and the PC ..

If it's strictly for printing and nothing else like for your small business or something I would go with #1 but dual booting is still going to have the same results because XP doesn't care if Win10 is sitting on another partition. Lastly you might not even be able to install XP on some newer system so you might have to choose 3.

If you only plan to use it once or twice I would even go with some junk PC out of the garbage or craigslist/free that already has XP on it, if it's only for printing who cares if its loaded with other people's junk and settings and you're setup the second you turn it on and load the drivers.

4) Already running vintage XP PC

Lockherup, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Saddles

cornemuse

the # 1 only works if you have xp drivers for your mobo.

cornemuse, Jan 20, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  4. Saddles

Saddles

Thanks guys. I've worked thru' two older computers that we had whic I was willing to dedicate just to the printer, but they died on me pretty quickly with little chance of finding older replacement components. I'll try #1 for compatible xp mobo, graphics etc drivers. If it has to be #3, for the virtual machine there's going to be no problems installing the printer's xp drivers, right?

Saddles, Jan 21, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  5. Saddles

flavallee Guest

If the motherboard and/or processor in your computer is "newer" than 3rd generation, you will probably find it difficult to install Windows XP and find compatible drivers for its devices.

flavallee, Jan 21, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  6. Saddles

Saddles

I installed windows xp successfully and found and installed all the drivers. Thanks again all.

Saddles, Jan 22, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  7. Saddles

Doku FREENET

Well you Can use Virtualization , a nice lightweight Linux witch can be setup in a way that you can fully ignore it, and boot like a native installation.

Doku FREENET, Mar 7, 2021
  8. Saddles

priscus

Witchcraft

priscus, Mar 8, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question