Win XP Drivers etc.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by lsnd, Apr 13, 2016.

1. lsnd

lsnd

Hi guys.
    I just installed Windows XP on my Dell Studio 1535 and have some troubles with some drivers.
    Once before I've done it successfully but since then it's been a while and unfortunately I've somehow lost the drivers I had found and now cannot find appropriate ones.
    Maybe the biggest issue for now is that I can't figure out how to connect with the wireless network I have. It's not that I couldn't connect directly with the cable it's just that the router is on the opposite side of the room from my desk, so every time I want to connect while on XP I need to unplug everything and go to the router, and it's getting a little bit annoying.
    I've tried to set a new internet connection but there's just no wireless option and that's why I assume it is driver related. The driver for the Network Controller didn't installed correctly (manually) so may be it is its fault. I may be able to upload screenshot of the device manager if that could be of some help.
    I know that Windows doesn't officially support drivers for XP for new laptops but since it ain't that much of a New one, more like a nEw one, is there a way to make it work.
    I've tried a bunch of drivers but none of them seems to be it.
    I also have some troubles with the audio, video and cardreader drivers but probably I could use other boot for it ( current configuration : Windows 7 Ultimate 'Generation2' / Ubuntu Studio 14.04 / Windows XP Pro SP3 Black Edition ) I just need XP for some compatibility issues of QDL drivers with Win 7, and a few other programs that hopefully will work seamlessly.

lsnd, Apr 13, 2016
  2. lsnd

Elizabeth23

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/studio-1535/drivers

dell drivers download page for generic studio 1535, xp drivers

note that dell drivers have to be installed in a certain order:

dss or nss (desktop system or notebook/laptop system)

chipset

after that you can mostly install in any order

have sp3 installed before drivers if you do not have it slipstreamed onto your install cd.

have an antivirus installed offline with database BEFORE going online

go to start/all programs/ top of right hand column will say windows updates, go there and get updated before going anywhere else online

do 50 high priority at a time or it will bog down machine / updates will have to install active X and new windows update and ie8 first so just follow prompts to let it update to microsoft updates, there are approx 180 updates so it will be awhile, and if you want to connect to dell afterwards to have dell scan your system for necessary updated drivers, then you will have to have .net 4 client and .net 4 extended installed for the dell system detect to work, and .net programs and updates are very lengthy downloads and installs, so be patient, also sometimes pc might have to be SHUTDOWN for updates to install, you can tell by going to start/turn off computer/ and by the radio button there will be a little shield icon by the OFF button, these will also be lengthy installs DO NOT turn off pc, it will do so automatically.

======================

HOW TO DOWNLOAD SP3 FOR XP
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8qZGvx85BR8Vk1YenNhOHBfc28&usp=sharing
    From Mike_Walsh all 3 service packs available for download.

Or my onedrive which has sp3 and ie8, in folder ie8 & sp3
    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=root&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

Elizabeth23, Apr 13, 2016
  3. lsnd

lsnd

OK here it is:

First I want to thank you Elizabeth23 for the quick response!

Tried almost everything mentioned and I'm still stuck on the drivers.
    Downloaded SP 1,2,3 - First two was rejected because of a higher version installed and the 3-rd one was broken or corrupted, but I assume there's nothing wrong with the service pack.
    Downloaded all the available genetic drivers from dell support but apparently they're not installed because ( as the message says ) ' the driver cannot be installed on the current system', though the chipset and cardreader drivers was installed correctly who knows how.
    Anyways the update of ie8 and all the recommended and extra system updates was installed in advance but didn't do trick either. The only thing I didn't update is the .net framework 4 but I'm not really familiar with .net exact functions and it's importance of drivers installation so that's maybe the only reason that the method didn't work.
    Also tried the onedrive folder you mentioned but I've already installed ie8 and sp3 thanks though.
    So .. there's nothing to be lost of .net 4 so I'll give it a shot and if not wifi-ed probably give ...

lsnd, Apr 15, 2016
  4. lsnd

Elizabeth23

First, install dss or nss
    Second install chipset

when you download a driver, all you have to do is download to desktop, double click on it and follow the prompts, it will install.

once all drivers installed go to start/right click on My computer/ choose manage, in box choose Device Manager, look for any yellow exclamation points and let me know which driver is not installed so I can help you find it.

==================

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

ORDER FOR DELL INSTALL DRIVERS

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
    Chipset or SMBus driver
    Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card

I had forgotten to ask if your harddrive was sata or ide???

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19281817.aspx
    how to find your dell sata drivers

Elizabeth23, Apr 15, 2016
Ask a Question