Why I'm still on XP and refuse to move on...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by eatup, Jan 17, 2016.

1. eatup

eatup

Two words: .NET Framework

It's so sloppily coded, I'm forced to use XP to resolve performance issues. And before anyone asks, no the issues will not go away if I recompile the code natively (using .NET native) or buy a faster computer. I've tried both, and performance still stank on Win7/8.1...

There's just something about XP's uber efficient code handling of .NET Framework apps.

Btw, this rant is very valid b/c if you take FireFox 40+, it runs just as fast on Win7 as on XP. MSFT's forte was never in coding efficiency as is evident by the bloat each successive Windows version receives.

eatup, Jan 17, 2016
  2. eatup

Cammygirl192

I absolutely love the way people complain about Vista being a resource hog, when the reality is that Vista SP2 is faster than 7 SP1.

Windows XP however has always been light and I have never had any 'slowness' issues with it, which is always a good thing - although I do not use XP anymore, I have never had many issues to it, as stated.

The problem that started with Microsoft later on in time is never good.

Cammygirl192, Mar 7, 2016
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  3. eatup

red Guest

will never beat xp :) no matter what micro throw at us ,there never been anything to beat it yet and microsoft wont bother trying to get 10 to run as good, they just want to keep tabs on you and sell crap to the world ,
    long live xp :)

red, May 29, 2021
  4. eatup

Borg

Haha, yeah.. I agree.. Im on Win2003 and it looks sweet and is blazing fast.
    I just got carried away with RAM.. 16GB is pretty much upper limit for 32bit.
    8GB seems to be sweet point..

Free Memory: 15.35G (96%)
    Free System PTEs: 139731
    System Cache: 1.78G
    Commit: 371.04M (2%)
    PF Usage: ---
    Paged Pool: 104.75M
    Nonpaged Pool: 32.55M

Borg, Nov 21, 2021
  5. eatup

TMTGTR

My studio has dedicated offline XP SP3 DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and DVW (Digital Video Workstation).
    Thankfully digital audio .wav specs have not changed and (XP) interface PC cards are available for all audio formats which are still current.
    Same is mostly true for video except ffmpeg, fdk-aac, and frei0r-plugins which all dropped XP support. This is why all GUI Video programs running over ffmpeg no longer support XP.
    HOWEVER... There is a wonderful individual in Netherlands(?) who releases XP modded ffmpeg, fdk-aac, and frei0r-plugins.
    For me the "downside" was to learn ffmpeg command console from scratch. The "upside" is that it blows away using those static GUI programs in speed and control. I'm very fortunate to have been "forced" to use ffmpeg command console. Again, much thanks to Reino Wijnsma for making those mods!
    In concurrence with the theme of this thread, I will never change these systems if within my power. My online machines are all XP but that is becoming a battle every day. But the hunt to squeeze XP out for browsing is fun...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    TMTGTR, Nov 22, 2021
  6. eatup

Borg

Nice :)
    Yeah I agree.. All those bloatware websites gives us a hard time indeed.

Borg, Nov 22, 2021
  7. eatup

TMTGTR

Wow! Reino Wijnsma just replied to my email. Said thanks for the heads up to this site and he'll continue the ffmpeg etc. XP mods as long as he's still on XP. Also pointed me to his thread at doom9:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=181802
    Made my day.

TMTGTR, Nov 22, 2021
  8. eatup

Borg

Hah, nice... I need to take a look at those ffmpeg things too. Thx for link.

Borg, Nov 24, 2021
  9. eatup

McNut

Sorry to bring an oldish thread back, but, in my experience, forum folks like it when people don't start new threads when the don't necessarily need to.

I noticed that ffmpeg is mentioned as one of the reasons to stick with XP. I've used this utility in my efforts to author the DVD-A "dead media format," so this caught my eye. If anyone reading this has any experience with using a PC laptop to make high-resolution multichannel audio conversions, especially if you're using Win XP, I'd love to read about your equipment.

By the way, I get into on our situation in this thread, but this one, once again, really got my attention.

McNut, Sep 13, 2023
  10. eatup

BellicoseBloke

Yeah, Cool...As far as NET Frames I only install if I absolutely have to...Prefer to use older version of any app that DON'T have that requirement. My XP machines with OpenGL 1.x run Nichimen Mirai expertly which is big plus. I can run all the old app that just requires a serial with no yearning to phone home. New app on windows 10 yearns for hookup & if it is high level you'll never know it's doin' it because it'll do it starting up (it'll say it's UPDATING), or when it's shutting down or when it's completely off, there will be no lights or other activity to alert you. Also to webcam taking infared pics of you all the time, RFB showed a video where he taped over the camera & it still burned a hole through the tape!
    My Granddaughter who is blind from birth wanted a computer back in 2011 so Wife & I bought her one with windows 7 32bit...Very solid...AV was installed & updates ALL OFF, yet 5 years later She's having issues we try to resolve over phone, come to find windows 10 had been force installed!! now who would want an OS that is forced upon you? She had nothing but problems after that...
    I recently bought a Dell D820 off Ebay... They guy had somehow managed to CRAM windows 11 on it, so I figured before reformat & UPGRADING to XP I'd have a look at it. Worse than windows 10 as expected using 60% of RAM just idling with 4 GB RAM available... I'm sure that would spike way up the second the broadband is plugged in...
    I could go on & on........

BellicoseBloke, Sep 13, 2023
    Kahilia and cleverscreenname like this.
  11. eatup

cleverscreenname

Sounds like me as I learned to use HandbrakeCLI instead of GUI Handbrake. Again, huge gains in speed and customization.

You know what they say about meeting your heroes... ;)

Me too. Even if I like the program, I search for an alternative that doesn't use bloated .NET but sometimes I'm stuck with it... like nLite.

cleverscreenname, Jan 13, 2024
Ask a Question