Why I believe W10 will be aother 8.2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by eatup, Jun 2, 2015.

1. eatup

eatup

Note: Take this post as for humor/entertainment purpose only. It has no educational nor predictive value whatsoever.

First off they used the number 64 (or its close cousin 6.4) during its development (ie. they originally named the kernel it ran on NT 6.4). 64 isn't a very lucky hexagram, according to the I-Ching.

Second of all calling it W10 after W8.1U1 by skipping an entire number sounds kind of arrogant. You know what they say about what comes next after pride and/or arrogance.

Third, 10 is actually the 11th digit in computing terms b/c arrays start counting from 0 not 1 within the micro circuitry. 11 kind of reminds me of the 11th hour, where practically nothing happened. It was the 12th that REAL change, which would be the attainment of a sizable mobile market share to MSFT, started taking place. So, the 11th sounds kind of ominous to me.

Fourth, if we take W10 = 11 in PC terms. Then we could calculate its numerology by reducing it to a single digit as follows: 11 = 1+1 = 2. 1 is unity. 1 is masculine. 1 is Yang. 2 is feminine. 2 is Yin. And not to be sexist, but what kind of world do we live in anyways, do we live in one filled with pen1s envy or female genitalia envy?!?!

Fifth, they want to make W10 the last Windows version which basically involves points 1+2+3+4, which again reeks of arrogance and non-abidance of natural laws. Afterall, wouldn't it be better to associate a continuously evolving "living Windows fixed name/number version" to one that had nothing whatsoever to do with 64, one that didn't skip a number, one headed by Adam, or one that was the 12th of its kind?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    eatup, Jun 2, 2015
  2. eatup

eatup

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    eatup, Jul 4, 2015
  3. eatup

eatup

I dunno about W10. With the newly adopted practice of enforcing updates, I don't feel like risking my W8.1 key anymore.

I shudder at the thought of allowing W10 malicious software removal tool free reign to screw with my existing installations on other partitions.

If anything, all MSFT ever did was to encourage ppl to seek out the Enterprise edition and crack its activation. No benefit whatsoever going W10 Home/Pro...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    eatup, Jul 18, 2015
  4. eatup

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Eatup ,

Bought a new PC with Win 8.1 on it. After the learning curve I find 8.1 is yea unto bloody good. Maybe I march to a different drum but 8.1 does all I want and more without installing Classic Shell. The much loved desktop is there and it only takes a bit of patience to find out how 8.1 works.

Having said that I will admit that the usual tweaking is needed with Services and a lot of the Metro Apps are just window dressing. (pun intended). On any PC no matter what the CPU and RAM disable Superfetch. Disabling Superfetch makes 8.1 fly.

And, I have signed up for Win 10.

But, dear old XP still lives on an old hard disk and mobo for just mucking about until no browser will run on XP.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Jul 22, 2015
  5. eatup

eatup

Hey Mr. "I'll *** your bloody arms off",

I triple boot XP/7/8.1 on one of my laptops.

Also have another desktop that dual boots 7/8.1. On this machine, I much prefer 8.1. It rocks. I seldom use W7 on it.

But, I can't say the same for my laptop. Wow is all I can say. W8.1 seems like a step backward from 7 on it. Simple things you could do in W7, like change output to external monitor with the touchpad/mouse, you can no longer do in 8.1 (have to rely on the laptop's Fn + crt switch hotkey). What if you have the laptop docked to a USB keyboard? It then becomes next to impossible to output to the monitor without have to type on the laptop's keyboard. Stuff like this annoys the hell out of me.

Anyways, when I say that W10 could turn out to be the next W8.2, I don't mean its usability wise as I find W8.1 to be much superior to W7, but only on a desktop. I really mean the general market acceptance of W10 could turn out to be like W8.1.

Lastly b/c I'm a sort of control freak, I can't see myself ever using W10 Home/Pro no matter how many legit Win7/8.1 keys I have at my disposal to take advantage of the free upgrade. Another thing is W10 appears to be too bland for my liking. Though W8.1 is sort of bland itself, it is an artistic masterpiece compared to the frankenstein W10 GUI...

eatup, Jul 22, 2015
  6. eatup

eatup

I've been reading users who did the upgrade then a clean install found out their key wasn't legit. To this I say, haha!

I'm guessing MSFT thinks most ppl wouldn't clean install their upgrade immediately, so they gave them all some generic key that probably won't accept new activations in 1yr, when the free upgrade offer expires.

I'm even hearing an MSFT rep actually told one of them upgraders to buy Win10 so they wouldn't have issues in the future. To this again, I say haha, so much for FREE!

Btw, I wouldn't touch Win10 with a 10-foot pole (pun intended). Anything that stores my WiFi password on a remote server (the new WiFi sense) immediately gets my disapproval...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    eatup, Jul 30, 2015
  7. eatup

Aunty Jack

Hello from Aunty Jack the Luddite, or am I a Luddite,

I miss the simplicity of XP. Like an old classic car with no on-board electrics/systems to go, "frzzzz". But, Tempus Fugit and all that and my brand new PC has no database of drivers with the manufacturer to enable a downgrade of operating system to XP. Oh well. :-(

But in a way I am a Luddite after installing and trying Windows 10. Ummm, how much of my privacy does Microsoft want. ?. Sure there a few little niggles with Windows 10 but time and the usual bloody updates may take care of them. But, as an OS Windows 10 does not really impress.

So, roll back to Windows 8.1 and tweak/modify it to my little heart's delight.

I may be the oddball here but Windows 8.1 is quite good in use when one figures out how to get the best from it. I have not noticed any performance issues (measured in nano-seconds anyway) between Win 10 and Win 8.1.

But, XP, will XP eventually become a memory as the best OS of all. Like Caesar, all things to all men.

Perhaps someone may write an XP emulator one day.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Jul 31, 2015
  8. eatup

eatup

Ay, mate. I hear ya. No way I'm giving up my Win8.1 license (it gets perm converted to a Win10 30 days after you upgrade with NO chance of going back).

This WiFi sense thing, I'm hearing the team behind it was a company that was responsible for unleashing a botnet malware in a game that they were working on and was subsequently bought out by you know who. Can't be good.

WiFi sense exists so (other ppl's) Win10 mobile devices within your WiFi range can access your internet to get updates w/o your permission. In essence it exists as part of the new P2P update infrastructure (as opposed to the traditional way of gettng updates from MSFT servers).

I don't believe for a minute that you need to have contacts in order to share your WiFi password. Any Win10 device might be able to secretly query MSFT servers for the nearest router password and that's using your internet service without your consent!

eatup, Jul 31, 2015
  9. eatup

eatup

Well, day 3 and there are 18.5 million Win10 activations.

Windows Vista sold 20 million copies within the first month of launch. Win10 had been technically available for a month now in reservations. Subtract 5 million insiders and that 18.5 million ain't looking very impressive!

I'm only saying this b/c I'm seeing left and right people who were further down the Win10 queue just couldn't wait and went ahead and initiated the download themselves by approx day 3.

What we're essentially seeing is something of a skewed distribution, where the initial response (like Vista) was huge but quickly died off. Win10 might not be as huge a flop as Vista or Win8.1, but it will nevertheless (speculation). Nevermind the privacy concerns, you can't just make a butt-ugly frankensteinish GUI with multiple inconsistencies depending on the the app/context you're using it in and expect 1 billion people/devices to find it acceptable for daily normal use!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    eatup, Aug 3, 2015
  10. eatup

Aunty Jack

The Luddite view of Windows 10,

Yes, I can be a Luddite when it comes to an OS that should be as intuitive as XP, or even Win 7 to use hides some of the most important tools behind a Disney World facade.

Try to find the familiar Control Panel !. Yeah, you have to open Settings and then search for Control Panel and there it is, hidden away behind all the glitz. Grumble. !.

Try to uninstall that useless Microsoft Edge which is tied to one of the worst search engines going, Bing. No way to change search engine or to uninstall Microsoft Edge. GRumble. !.

File Explorer, yes and all the files that have been opened as a history show. Drive C:\ lives down low on the bottom left like smelly doo-doo. !. GRUmble. !.

Useless Metro style tiles, some can be uninstalled, some can't. GRUMble. !.

Windows As A Service, Hah. !. If I want a service of some kind I use the now old fashioned telephone or mobile (cell phone). What I need or want will NOT be tied to Microsoft. !. GRUMBle. !.

I did, "jump the gun" like a lot of people and grabbed Win 10 from a very good site named after a military officer's rank and another name for a nerd. Early build with a few bugs that could not be shot so I uninstalled that Win 10 and waited for the message from Microsoft to upgrade. The slightly flaky Win 10 build from the military nerd site is no reflection on that officer and gentleman. But, the early Win 10 build perhaps should not have been made available by Microsoft.

So, GRUMBLe to Microsoft. !.

Do I have another niggle so I can type grumble all in upper case. Probably but what is the point I suppose.

Wah, I miss XP and even Vista but the world moves on.

In actual fact Win 10 is quite good when you take the axe to it and tweak some aspects of useability to resemble dear old XP.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack having a rant.

Aunty Jack, Aug 4, 2015
  11. eatup

eatup

I hear Win10 is now up to 50 million-ish installs (rumored figured). Still not looking impressive. Win8.0 sold 40 million copies within the first month. Win10 is given away for FREE and only managed to top Win8's laucnh by 25% so far.

Btw, I had to repair a PC that originally came with Vista the other day. Made a home made OEM copy that activated offline just like the original (since I couldn't find the original disk). I'm quite surprised they haven't fixed it by SP2, but it seems to me the entire Vista OS revolved around not letting the user shut down the computer. The default power button in the Start Menu just puts it to hibernation waiting for a magic packet to wake it up either by Windows Update or online snoopers. I had forgotten how much of a Big Brother OS Vista was.

That's Balmer et al for you. Gates wouldn't have done something so nefarious. Good thing Gates saw to it to extend the last OS he ever was involved in in a major way by a few additional years. Long live the XP operating system!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    eatup, Aug 17, 2015
  12. eatup

Aunty Jack

Windows 10 - CRASH !

This part or the forum seems to be a bit of an XP vs Windows 10 outlet. Shows how great XP was and still is.

For the risk of it I installed the latest Windows 10 and it's unspecified updates. All OK until I did a restart. Yep, machine totally frozen. Had to pull the power cord to get it out of whatever kind of loop Win 10 put in. Tried a few of the, "recommended" fixes but every restart, CRASH. !.

No Windows 10 for this old Aussie. XP and Win 8.1. Actually Win 8.1, after a bit of work behaves very much like XP.

Cheers to all,

Aunty Jack.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Aug 21, 2015
  13. eatup

eatup

Windows 10... I've been hearing it actually smoked a few ppl's hard drives.

If I ever find myself using it, it will either be under OEM warranty or in a VM. No way in hell I'll boot it natively or even multi boot it with my existing installations.

eatup, Aug 21, 2015
  14. eatup

eatup

I will have to respectfully disagree. I run one of the most graphically intensive .NET apps imaginable. On the fastest Win8.1 machine we have, which is an Ivy Bridge with 8GB of RAM, my .NET app runs 8x S-L-O-W-E-R than a laptop I bought in 2006 that came with XP!

Win 8.1 only has a fast GUI to trick you into thinking its just as fast as XP. Where actual app performance is concerned, nothing and I mean nothing "modern" produced by MSFT has ever topped XP!

eatup, Aug 21, 2015
Ask a Question