Why cant I install XP on this old Dell ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by DonMurray, Jan 2, 2021.

1. DonMurray

DonMurray

DamageMYdell1.jpg dell4.jpg dell3.jpg

I have never had problems like this installing XP. I may buy a cheap system board in put it in this case so I can install dell. THis was a top of the line system back in the day. I wish I could get XP to install and I do not know what the problem is. I purchaced 4 different dell install DISKS off of ebay. But htis did not fix the problem. It keeps saying it has detected something. I did a complete disk erase and that still wont let me install it. Anyone know why I can not get Xp to install ? is thier a bios setting that I could change so it wont detect what ever it thinks is wrong. ? Must be a way to get past this. Anyone know why this is coming up. I did just read what this said - and I will now try those things. What a pain. I have a used SOLID state disk im putting xp on So it appears this is not an issue with information being on the hard drive.

DonMurray, Jan 2, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  2. DonMurray

DonMurray

So this happens when it XP stops at the place where it asks me to partition the hard drive. soon as I tell it to delete the partition it gives me this message above and the install stops in its tracks. I found a different video card and I am going to try again. It does give me hints that it has to do with bios settings in relation to memory so Im going to try these things as well. .

DonMurray, Jan 2, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  3. DonMurray

Elizabeth23

The blue screen error with “0x0000008E” as the error code and “KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED” as the error name (not necessarily displayed) can be caused by a RAM memory module that is faulty or incompatible with Windows XP.

Above from HERE, scroll through

Elizabeth23, Jan 3, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  4. DonMurray

Connor McMahon

Is that a Dimension E520? My brother has the same problem with his, but we tried to install XP via USB.

Connor McMahon, Jan 31, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  5. DonMurray

red Guest

had this problem when setting up my old hp system turned out to be the hdd,took it out formatted it on another system and all was fine,sometimes its how many installs you have tried and kept getting the same screen :)~

red, Apr 10, 2021
  6. DonMurray

flavallee Guest

DonMurray:

According to the service tag number(FJGHZB1) and express service code number(33828305149) on the label in your bottom image, you have THIS Dell Dimension 9200.

It was originally purchased in October 2006 in the U.S. and has full driver support for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit/64-bit.

Windows Vista wasn't released until November 2006, so I'm guessing yours came with Windows XP.

flavallee, Apr 11, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  7. DonMurray

Samir

If you're still running into this error, I would remove the video card and let the native video in the processor do the work. I would also use any traditional hard drive you have lying around. Also, set the hard drive mode in your bios to 'legacy', not sata or raid.

Samir, May 3, 2021
    Connor McMahon likes this.
Ask a Question