Which browser for support.hp.com ?

Hi guys,

I try to find XP drivers for my HP laptop, product: HP Pavilion dv6700, model: dv6920us .

I opened this page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...k-pc-series/3725196/model/3744173?sku=FE821UA
And I try to select OS, when I click on the arrow - 2-3mm white area extends downwards:
44jlM.png

I can't see OS selection, and I can't continue.

I am on: Win XP Pro, browser: 360Chrome
I wonder what OS + browser is needed for the OS selection window to show properly?

Last edited:
This isn’t Hewlett Packard, so it actual works.

They've certainly earned for themselves a poor reputation.

When I worked in electronics (1970's), their kit had a good reputation.

These days, my experience of HP is limited to their printers. These do seem to be let down by software and services not being up to scratch.

Has the quality of their hardware also now deteriorated, or is still just crappy software and services causing the concerns?

hewlett packard support page has removed all xp driver downloads some time ago, when you find some drivers that work, copy them to a flash drive.

my dell , when I do a fresh install, copies the drivers I install to a folder on the c: drive, is there a folder on your current installation? if so copy to a flash drive before wiping the drive for a clean installation

Hi guys,

I try to find XP drivers for my HP laptop, product: HP Pavilion dv6700, model: dv6920us .

I am on: Win XP Pro, browser: 360Chrome
I wonder what OS + browser is needed for the OS selection window to show properly?

You will need a minimum of Windows 7 x64 and Microsoft Edge Version 104.0.1293.70.
I tried several XP browsers (Serpent, MyPal 29/68, 360 Chrome 11-13), had same issue you had, Even LibreWolf 97 on Windows 7 did the same thing so looks like HP is coding their website so it only works with modern Chrome browsers.

image.png

HP doesn't have any XP drivers for your model so it's a moot point.

If you really want XP on this laptop you could try Snappy Driver Installer (Open Source). I have a Gateway laptop that came with Vista but no drivers existed for XP. I installed XP then found the video drivers on AMD's website (HD3200). All the other drivers were installed by Snappy (Conexant HD audio, Ethernet, Wifi, etc.). It was trial and error with the sound as the first recommended driver wouldn't work and I had to go down the list and keep trying until I found one that did. There's no guarantee that it will find all the drivers for your system but if you really want XP on this laptop this is your only hope. I hope you're the patient type.

If you do get it working make a drive image ASAP.

They've certainly earned for themselves a poor reputation.

When I worked in electronics (1970's), their kit had a good reputation.

These days, my experience of HP is limited to their printers. These do seem to be let down by software and services not being up to scratch.

Has the quality of their hardware also now deteriorated, or is still just crappy software and services causing the concerns?

I despise their printer software with an absolute vengeance. They make dreadful cheap laptops and computers that are hard to deal with and upgrade. When I am in a factory, if there is a functional error on a machine or line of machines. You can bet money the problem is caused by good old HP.

Finally I have been in a pharmaceutical industrial set up with millions upon millions of pounds worth of kit. And HP have been too pompous to send an engineer and talk to the manager of industrial processing like he was a two year old who was having a tantrum.

Not a big fan.

@Madeleine Takam
Thanks for trying all those browsers, I appreciate it.
And thanks for the driverscape link, I'll see what I can do.

@Elizabeth23
Thanks, I guess I was a bit too late.
Unfortunately there is no drivers folder on my C: drive.

@ClippyBeer
Thanks for finding out the minimum OS + Browser version, much appreciated.
As Liz said HP removed all XP drivers, I guess even if I somehow manage to open this page ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...7000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5226230 ) (for product: HP Pavilion dv6700) there will not be any XP drivers also.
And thanks for the Snappy Driver Installer recommendation, I will look into it.

I wanted to check the official site first because usually all drivers can be found there.
I guess I should find a way to open support.hp.com and get the Win 7 drivers while I still can, at least the most important ones (Video, Audio, Chipset, Network).

Thanks guys.

I despise their printer software with an absolute vengeance. They make dreadful cheap laptops and computers that are hard to deal with and upgrade.
I wholeheartedly agree that their printer software is bloated garbage. I've not had much experience with HP computers but their laser printers are OK other than the DRM that won't let you use third party toner cartridges. Still, I've had my HP laser for eight years and have only had to change the toner twice. Been a reliable workhorse printing labels, envelopes etc. with no paper jams. When it finally gives out I will replace it with a Brother because I've read good things about them.

Thanks for finding out the minimum OS + Browser version, much appreciated.
As Liz said HP removed all XP drivers, I guess even if I somehow manage to open this page ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...7000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5226230 ) (for product: HP Pavilion dv6700) there will not be any XP drivers also.
Thanks guys.

I think it depends on the model computer - if you put in a PC that had XP installed from the factory then they should have XP drivers for it. HP 6715B laptop for example had the option for either XP or Vista and HP has drivers for XP, Vista and 7.

image.png

I wholeheartedly agree that their printer software is bloated garbage. I've not had much experience with HP computers but their laser printers are OK

I have used HP printers for a long time. The rot seemed to set in when WWW came about and allowed them to hassle and interfere with their customers.

Had a LaserJet 3 from 1990, it was very expensive. lasted till 2008, when it would have required replacement fuser unit, which cost more than device was then worth. cons: it did not do long print runs without having to break for cleaning toner deposits, or printout was very streaky. It was only internet-connected in its latter years (HP probably given up on this model by then) so HP did not bug me constantly as they subsequently did with respect to a couple of their ink jets which I have had.

I had to do a lot of teaching back then, so the option of a straight through 'flat' bin to output feed on the HP3 was just what I needed for making OHP transparencies: the technology of the day. Similarly helpful for transparencies for photo-resist etch technique for making printed circuit boards.

Still have some old HP lasers (4100 models). I use for toner transfer method of making PCBs. Modern printers don't seem able to do this. Found advert for one on eBay for £15, when I got there the printers were all that remined in a business that was winding up. The owner wanted the premises emptied for demolition, and as no other purchaser had turned up, asked me to take the lot!

So I just tried the link and had no problems on portable ff 52 esr on xp.

As far as drivers, if you don't find that they exist, search the PCI string for each item and you'll run across drivers either directly from the manufacturer or from other manufacturers. This is how I find drivers for systems that don't officially have xp drivers and it always works.

In my opinion HP is one of the worst brands for everything. Remember when they sold laptops with nvidia chips that would always get black screen because of bad solder ?

In the printer side of things. They used to be ok. But the software is so bad now for network since a few years back. The problem with hp printers is that some of them when they go to sleep for some reason they disconnect from network. Then you have to trobleshoot. Maybe restart printer or computer so you´re able to print or scan a document. This never happens with brother printers. They´re always on network.

Also a month ago someone called me to install an hp printer. It was an older model. I configured the printer to be on the network from the printer screen. But for some reason the newer driver HP made wouldn´t see it at all on Windows 10 or 8.1. I searched for quite some time until I found an older driver elsewhere that worked fine.

Wasn't going to add since it would only be more the same, but oh well. HP zucx! They sucked in w98 days as well with their bloatware garbage and having to have IE to install software. This company is targeted at the big corps which all tow the Micro$oft line etc.

I have a good friend who makes big $ being an HP commercial printer technician. When he got the job, there was a training period and then on the road answering service calls. He said matter of fact that he worked on printers that cost a million dollars :eek:! He described proprietary hardware and software on these operator stations. He also showed me proprietary metering tools that worked on the HP printers. He said business was booming for HP commercial printing. He is always working. $, benefits, company car, perks out the wazoo. One time I asked him how printing could be so booming when the world is going more to digital. He said "you'd be surprised" the need is always there at this level.

I believe commercial division is where HP puts their printer brain trust and resources, it's where the $ is IMO.

In my opinion HP is one of the worst brands for everything. Remember when they sold laptops with nvidia chips that would always get black screen because of bad solder ?

In the printer side of things. They used to be ok. But the software is so bad now for network since a few years back. The problem with hp printers is that some of them when they go to sleep for some reason they disconnect from network. Then you have to trobleshoot. Maybe restart printer or computer so you´re able to print or scan a document. This never happens with brother printers. They´re always on network.

Also a month ago someone called me to install an hp printer. It was an older model. I configured the printer to be on the network from the printer screen. But for some reason the newer driver HP made wouldn´t see it at all on Windows 10 or 8.1. I searched for quite some time until I found an older driver elsewhere that worked fine.
It's not just HP that's skimped on quality on their cheap consumer stuff--everyone does that for their 'black friday specials' and whatnot.

I remember when HP was the KING of laser printers. I still remember the LaserJet I and II, and actually have a functioning 4p somewhere. But then came competition from names like Lexmark that were also pretty bulletproof.

And then there's the Brother of today--cheaper and lightweight in terms of build quality compared to an HP 'Enterprise' series laser or a Xerox, but they pretty much do work and keep on working--I think we have about a dozen of them, the oldest was one we bought new in 2007, and it's still working. We don't have high duty cycles on them though or careless people banging them every time they need to be opened or used--this is where they would fail pretty quickly.

As far as drivers, everyone is playing the bloatware game--even brother. When we got our xerox color, I had to use an older built-in driver on win7 since their win7 drivers wouldn't work and they didn't have a driver for xp.

The best printers I've found is network lasers since they are very universally support by either older drivers or even another brand's drivers at times--and usually built-into windows too so no mussing and no fussing--and no cussing. :D

Back