What is the fix MS pushed to me 12/10/2014?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by scubadiver, Dec 10, 2014.

1. scubadiver

scubadiver

I am extremely leery of instilling this fix. The fix they sent a few weeks ago broke all of my software that depends on IE 8. That is, my HP scanner, Quicken 2014, Outlook Express, and anything that used IE 8 for help functions stopped working.

Will this new fix fix, or will it break some more stuff?

scubadiver, Dec 10, 2014
  2. scubadiver

Elizabeth23

give me a kb number so I can research it, !!

Elizabeth23, Dec 10, 2014
  3. scubadiver

scubadiver

Clicked power-off instead of standby. So the damn thing installed. No Idea how to find the kb number.

If MS makes my XP machine unusable I swear I'll get a Mac before I succumb to Windows 8.

scubadiver, Dec 11, 2014
  4. scubadiver

Elizabeth23

any thing installed can be found in the add/remove programs box, click the box on top to Show Updates , you can see updates installed it the event viewer, go to start/run, and type in eventvwr.msc and event viewer will open, you only need to worry about applications and system, you can click on either one in the left hand pane and the right hand pane will display the contents, there will be blue icon information, yellow icon warnings, and red icon errors,

updates and installations will be information unless one failed to install and then it will be logged as an error.

you can right click on each directory in the left hand pane and choose to clear all entries, and save them if you so choose, I clear my event viewer each day so I can see what is going on each day.

kb numbers are appended to the end of each listing for microsoft updates in add/remove
    in event viewer the kb number is listed in the body of the message

Elizabeth23, Dec 11, 2014
  5. scubadiver

scubadiver

Thanls Elizabeth23,

Here is what I found:

Microsoft ,NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB2604111) Last Used on 7/1/20145
    Under this there is:
    Update (KB963707)
    Hotfix (KB958484)
    Security Update (KB2736416)
    Hotfix (KB953595)
    Security Update (KB2861697)
    Security Update (KB2840629)

Should I delete the master entry, or just specific fixes?

scubadiver, Dec 25, 2014
  6. scubadiver

Elizabeth23

if you can find one that was installed at the time that your issues started occurring then you could uninstall that particular update.

but as no new updates have been issued since april 2014, I am curious as to how you got an update notification at this late date.

Elizabeth23, Dec 26, 2014
  7. scubadiver

scubadiver

The updates arrived just after there were news stories about an ancient security flaw in Windows. That was June of this year. I presume that is what they addressed. My problem is I'm on Windows XP. I can't upgrade IE past IE 8. My guess is If I could upgrade IE, my problems would go away.

Interestingly, Quicken 2014 at least partly healed itself. Help is still busted across all products.

I'd probably have to replace my motherboard to upgrade to Windows 7. (Windows 8 is hateful.) This also means I'd have to upgrade all my software. So I'm looking at a coupla' thou I just don't wanna' spend.

scubadiver, Dec 27, 2014
  8. scubadiver

Elizabeth23

you do not want to use IE unless the program just will not work on any other browser, you should install firefox, or chrome, I use firefox myself, IE is just there for some office 2003 training courses that will not work on firefox because they need an active x component.

I have the same exact updates installed on my pc, I do not use quicken , but you might want to uninstall and then reinstall, as for any thing requiring help if you have for example firefox, set as the default browser, then it goes to firefox .

I have no problem with help on any program.

do you have another browser installed??

is ie8 set as the default browser??

you should install another browser and also run checkdisk

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us
    How to perform checkdisk

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.

go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Dec 28, 2014
  9. scubadiver

Jojo

If I may also suggest, the Updates service is only ever used by M$ and it takes up resources.

Turn it off.

Jojo, Dec 30, 2014
Ask a Question