What is it like running windows xp in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by james121op, Oct 16, 2019.

1. james121op

Mike_Walsh

For chrissakes DON'T mention the 'L'-word around here, CS-E. Certain of the inmates are still convinced it's the 'work of the devil', y'know....? :p

(One or two are getting so they actually attack me verbally, every time I mention Puppy! (No names mentioned...) Ne'm mind; 'sticks & stones', eh?)

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Nov 3, 2019
  2. james121op

Mike_Walsh

@ cornemuse:-

Petabytes - 1024 terabytes
    Exabytes - 1024 petabytes
    Zettabytes - 1024 exabytes
    Yottabytes - 1024 zettabytes

Just a bit of useless info for ya there..!

Mike. ;):)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 4, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  3. james121op

cornemuse

I'm prolly close to Petabytes!!

cornemuse, Nov 4, 2019
  4. james121op

Janice

Being close to Petabytes, how do you manage things if some of the stuff can't even be found? :confused:

Janice, Nov 4, 2019
  5. james121op

Mike_Walsh

Well, to put things into perspective, some folks have asked on certain hardware forums, 'When will the first petabyte hard drives come onto the market'? The general consensus is it'll probably be at least another decade.....but they will like as not only be for enterprise. And even then it's doubtful.

Most operators find that running a RAID array of smaller units is way easier for maintenance, and keeping the whole array running at max efficiency for the greatest possible amount of time.

Google's TOTAL stored data, at this point in time, is perhaps around the 100-110 PB mark. A zettabyte of data is SO much that the human brain simply cannot comprehend it. It's estimated that even with projected population increases, and everybody producing more & more of the stuff, we civilized apes will perhaps produce somewhere in the region of 2 zettabytes by the end of the century. As for yottabytes, well........to date, it's simply a theoretical number, just the next step up the ladder, if you like.

Mike. ;):p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Nov 4, 2019
  6. james121op

priscus

Hi Def video certainly eats up storage capacity.

Don't watch much telly in Summer, when I like to be out and about. So thought I'd get a Hard disk PVR, and record the broadcast movies and drama series to view during the period of inclement Winter weather.

The PVR (Panasonic) had 500 gB HDD: filled in no time, so bought a load of 2 TB drives to off-load the recordings onto.

So, with many hours and about 8 TB of video, suddenly the PVR threw a wobbler! It went int some sort of repairing itself mode. Works since exiting this mode, but REFUSES TO RECOGNISE THE HDDs.

It recognises the mapping number which it has allocated to the disk, but notifies me that disk needs to be formatted. They already have been, and to do so again will eliminate content!

Nothing else appears able to read the format which PVR uses so I guess about 8 TB of content is just completely lost.:(

priscus, Nov 4, 2019
  7. james121op

Mike_Walsh

@ priscus:-

Apparently, all PVRs apply some degree of encryption to everything they record.....and that encryption, naturally, is proprietary to the manufacturer. Hence why nothing else can read the drive except the hardware that recorded it in the first place.....with the exception of certain, not readily-available tools.

This might help:-

https://www.lemmymorgan.com/convert-and-play-recorded-pvr/

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 7, 2019
    priscus likes this.
  8. james121op

priscus

Or, in my case , Not even the hardware that recorded it in the first place. :( C'est la vie.

Cheers Mike. I have some devices which make recordings onto USB drives, and these are MTS or ts file types. I have no difficulty opening and copying these on PC, but they are not really suitable for bulk recording. As for the Panasonic recordings, I plugged the drive into a Linux machine to view properties, and I do not recall the name of the file type, but when I googled it it told me it was a continuous data stream. I am guessing that this means the system the PVR is using to index content is just not visible to the PC.

I will check out the tools in the link which you have posted, so once again, thanks.

priscus, Nov 7, 2019
  9. james121op

Mike_Walsh

@ priscus:-

The really stupid thing is, the darned PVR is probably running an embedded form of Linux anyway; Linux seems to be powering so much stuff these days. I hadn't realised till I was researching something just the other night, that it apparently supports over 100 different file-system formats...

You might strike lucky there, you might not. When you add encryption & proprietary formats/code into the mix, Linux can be just as much of a 'bear with a sore head' as Windows..!

Let us know what happens, anyway.

[EDIT:-] You might get more joy over here, at the AVForums:-

https://www.avforums.com/

I created an account here a couple of years ago, to try and get an answer to problems we were having here at home with our satellite dish. Got some very sage advice, which helped enormously. For anything home-entertainment related, these guys know what they're talking about, trust me.

Worth a try, anyroad.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Nov 7, 2019
    priscus likes this.
  10. james121op

priscus

Thanks, Mike. I'll have a go at both options , probably at weekend if nothing intervenes to prevent.

priscus, Nov 7, 2019
Ask a Question