What are we going to do about XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Cabral, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Cabral

Cabral

The final few XP browsers and antiviruses are ending support. There is a bit of hope, though. Hackers aren't targeting XP systems as much due to the EOS. I think that one day, either someone releases an antivirus for XP with the latest definitions...or hackers and viruses no longer target XP at all. Then we will be safe.

Cabral, Apr 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Cabral

Jody Thornton

Yeah but security through obscurity is no strategy either. It's like basing financial plans on hope. That's no strategy.

It was said on here in another thread that people shouldn't push others off of using Windows XP. True enough for offline applications. Even I have Windows XP running a small audio jukebox. But for online use, you put others at peril. I know longer subscribe to the FUD beliefs that XP users profess about Microsoft not updating XP. You should want to patch your system. Yes, the POS Ready updates do fix that situation for now, but once 2019 comes to pass, XP should be abandoned.

Perhaps this Classic OS mentioned in the off-topic forum might provide an alternate. But for now that's vapourware. And will it run on new hardware and WDM drivers, support newer DirectX revisions, browsers and applications? Will it be x64 ready?

We'll see. I'll bet if many of you purchased a refurbed Duo-Core (less than $200.00) with Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1, and saw how newer Windows versions take advantage of newer hardware, a lot of the slow and bloated arguments would go out the window.
    :)

Jody Thornton, Apr 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Cabral

priscus

Having decent AV, I have not had malware cripple any of my machines. I have, however, from time to time, picked up 'Root-kits' which have been extremely difficult to eradicate.

When this has occurred, I have relied heavily on the experience of the larger community of users, and the information which gets posted on line. ie wading through the alternatives that search reveals, in succession.

I suspect my XP use will cease when suchlike occurs, and that community collective of solutions is no-longer to be found.

priscus, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Cabral

priscus

There is an IDE called Mono. Even Linux users are being advised to remove Mono from their systems, on account of the malware aimed at Windows via Mono, fouling Linux systems.

My point is, some malware is more OS-agnostic than other, and as such represents a continuing threat to XP users.

I don't know the locus of the action of these, but in recent years. we have had secure sockets which have been NOT secure, JAVA scripts getting hi-jacked, security holes in near universal apps such as PDF readers etc etc

So I do not think we will be safe because no-one is targeting XP specifically.

priscus, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Cabral

towgers

Whilst I am developing ClassicOS as an alternative, maybe another proposal is me, my team, and some guys here could develop our own indie Internet Browser?

towgers, Apr 24, 2017
  6. Cabral

Elizabeth23

@towgers, until you get the classic os up I am trying zorin 9 os on my dell latitude laptop d800 with a pentium processor, I had to go through a couple of loops to get past pae disabled and force a pae, and so far it is installing, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 25, 2017
  7. Cabral

towgers

@Elizabeth23 its been a bit since you posted that comment. How are you liking Zorin9?

towgers, Apr 30, 2017
  8. Cabral

Elizabeth23

I did not get much chance to try it as owner wanted xp pro reinstalled on that laptop I was playing around with.

did not like the fact that I had to do a workaround to force pae, to get it to boot, but I did get it installed only to have to wipe the drive and then install xp. :(

Elizabeth23, Apr 30, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question