W-XP and viewing MP4 videos safely?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by DonP22, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DonP22

DonP22

I seem to be getting a lot of mp4 videos to view lately. I have Windows Media Player (11) which does not support mp4's and I also have QuickTime (7.7.6) which does, but is not supported anymore since 2014, so is considered very "un" safe. I do have Norton Internet Security and use FireFox browser, which both still support XP but still don't feel all that comfortable depending on that method of preventing being attacked. Is there a good 3rd. party Software Media Player stand alone and/or plug in that will run on XP, play mp4's and is security safe to use? I've searched around and seen them for download, but am wary of some kind of malware plant withing the downloaded code.

DonP22, Apr 14, 2017
  2. DonP22

Elizabeth23

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I use media player classic, and not wmp11, so far no probs, I downloaded the full package, even though I do not know what all the parts do, it plays well and I like that. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 14, 2017
  3. DonP22

EthanStark

Right-click on the MP4 file you want to play and select "Open With." In the dialog box that appears select "Select the program from a list" and click "OK."

Choose "Windows Media Player" from the list of programs that appears and select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." and click "OK." If Windows Media Player does not show up on this list proceed to step 3.

Click "Browse" and go to the directory where the Windows Media Player executable file is located. This file can usually be found by going to the "C" drive, then "Program Files," then "Windows Media Player." The file's name is usually "wmplayer.exe." Select that file as the program you want associate with MP4 files and click "OK."

Ethan Stark

EthanStark, Jun 19, 2017
  4. DonP22

DonP22

You can always "ask" WMP to play a file that it doesn't support, but in this case (i.e. MP4) it will tell you that it doesn't support the file type but will "try" and play it. Then the best you "might" get is only "audio", but no video.

DonP22, Jun 20, 2017
Ask a Question