VPN for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by krauzer, Jan 4, 2022.

1. krauzer

krauzer

Hi again.

Any VPN that will install AND still work on Windows XP?

Thank you.

krauzer, Jan 4, 2022
  2. krauzer

Borg

Are you asking for VPN Software or VPN provider? Its 2 different things.
    For Software, older OpenVPN or TincVpn will work fine.

Borg, Jan 4, 2022
  3. krauzer

Chiron

I'm using ExpressVPN - quite reliable, though not the cheapest one.
    They don't offer a specific application for XP anymore, but rather rely on OpenVPN to access their server network, which entails the (minor) annoyance of having to type in or copy 'n paste a totally pointless user name/password pair each time you connect.
    Apart of that it appears to work fine.

Chiron, Jan 10, 2022
  4. krauzer

krauzer

Hey guys, thank you for answering, but I found VPNGate and it worked for me better. They provide software up-to-date THAT RUNS on Windows XP and servers to use, absolutely for free. From what I've read about it, it's safe enough, at least for me. It's pretty easy to use as well.

krauzer, Jan 13, 2022
  5. krauzer

Samir

There is no need to use vpn software to connect to a vpn, just configure the built-in windows client.

Samir, Feb 6, 2022
  6. krauzer

secpar

One thing any VPN user on XP will need to use is OpenVPN. Just use the latest available for XP, which is NOT the most current version. I don't know which version by heart, but I think it's 2.something.

Another thing, you can do manual configurations for PPTP and L2TP in Windows XP. Though, I am seeing many providers move away from those two protocols citing "security."

Defense Grid says, "All manner of tyranny goes by the name of protection."

Anyway, PPTP and L2TP are very popular for torrenting purposes, because they're often simple encryption and much faster by themselves. Those two protocols have low overhead on the client computer. And traffic doesn't need to be super encrypted.

I've got a number of VPN services I use.

Good ones include PureVPN, Windscribe and KeepSolid.

secpar, Feb 6, 2022
  7. krauzer

Samir

PPTP's issue is that the login information is in plain text so anything snooping on the line can get it. I haven't heard of any issue with L2TP though since there's various transports available underneath it, many times ipsec which is quite strong.

But it is important to not that vpn services by their nature do absolutely nothing for privacy or protection from anything. It's like using a garden hose to connect water to your neighbor's house to avoid using your own water--pretty much pointless.

All a VPN tunnel does is make your traffic pop out somewhere else, and you don't even need to use a service to do this as there's a japanese open-source free service that can use the built-in clients in xp.

Samir, Feb 7, 2022
    secpar likes this.
  8. krauzer

secpar

I'm not aware of specific PPTP issues, but I do know there are ways of making things work in a more secure manner. It may just be too much of a headache.

Pure anonymity like people want is next to impossible. Especially considering most modern browsers pumped out have "fingerprints" and other identifiable data that can source things back to a location, then a machine, then a person.

Depends on the application of use, that is, "How are you using the VPN and what is your goal?" VPNs are great in many, many ways.

VPNs for privacy should be seen more as a way of making your location harder to figure out. Also, to protect against your ISP involving themselves in your activity.

When a service or product is free, you're the test subject. (jabbified)

VPN tunnels are great, if you know how to use them. Make a tunnel, within a tunnel, and use proxy services on top of that.

I'm not an IT expert, but I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of tracking someone like myself.

secpar, Feb 7, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  9. krauzer

Samir

And that's the fallacy that consumers are fed. A VPN tunnel doesn't really do either.

The free service from the Japanese company is actually a collection of VPN servers set up by users of the opensource software. There's no 'company' behind this setup.

Your setup isn't really keeping anyone from tracking you since you're just one hop away from the place where the tunnel connects to the Internet. All they have to do is have an official request for the records from the VPN provider and they'll hand them over. The 'protection' you're paying for is nothing more than a farce.

Samir, Feb 8, 2022
  10. krauzer

secpar

It's not a mere matter of 'protection' or a mere matter of 'privacy' in all cases.

I've already had many internal dilemmas about privacy, anonymity, et al. I figured the best I could do is make things difficult, layer by layer.

VPNs can be used for other purposes. Unlocking geo-locked content, for example.

And yes, there are always alternatives or better options available to those which are in the know.

Consider that your local traffic coming into your ISP's connection to your router can be much easier to sift through if you've got a dedicated channel for most of your routine internet activity. It helps to eliminate some troubleshooting.

But you may be just as comfortable exposing your IP address to the world at all times, sh¡tposting online somewhere, and when an attacker probes your IP address they may find something to work with. VPNs and proxies just make things a little more difficult for would-be ne'er-do-gooders.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    secpar, Feb 8, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  11. krauzer

Borg

Yeah, layering is a good aproach. Just be sure to have Firewall enabled when using those VPNs tho :)

Borg, Feb 8, 2022
  12. krauzer

Samir

Just as long as you know all that. Another layer never hurts because the reality is that's all security really is. Enough layers to make the would-be thief/spy give up.

Samir, Feb 13, 2022
Ask a Question