VirtualBox drivers freeze for 35mins during install...?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by esuhl, May 3, 2021.

1. esuhl

esuhl

I've installed XP in VirtualBox several times recently (and many times in the past). But when I try to install "VirtualBox Guest Additions" (drivers), it freezes whilst VBoxDrvInst.exe is being installed (see image below).

https://i.ibb.co/XWnWDDT/VBox-Drv-Inst-exe-freeze.jpg

I discovered that, if I wait for 35 minutes(!!!), installation completes successfully. I've tried many XP builds -- all consistently freeze for 35mins. :-/

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know why it's taking such an incredibly long time to install VirtualBox drivers?

Cheers :)

esuhl, May 3, 2021
  2. esuhl

Elizabeth23

You can't usually install drivers for real hardware in a Virtual Machine.

Windows 7, when installed under VirtualBox can't access, for example, the real graphics card or network card, it can only access a "virtual" or "emulated" one. If you try to install the real drivers for your hardware it will time-out, as it can't find them. But you should install the "Guest additions", this package contains all the drivers needed for the virtual hardware.

Sometimes, you can access the real hardware, it usually happens when you connect USB devices directly to the Virtual Machine, or when using some special advanced configurations. In those cases you need (and can) install the real drivers.

above came from the link below, I did a search on slow virtual driver install and this was one of the discussions that my search turned up.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/244...-vm-take-so-long-to-install-windows-7-updates

Elizabeth23, May 3, 2021
  3. esuhl

esuhl

Thanks, Elizabeth.

I'm not installing physical hardware drivers, though. I'm installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions.

I've done this many times over the years. And it's never taken more than a minute or so.

Strange... :-/

esuhl, May 4, 2021
  4. esuhl

Elizabeth23

I do not use a VM, so I have no personal experience, all I can say is do searches for this issue and read the threads until you find a more concrete answer

Elizabeth23, May 5, 2021
Ask a Question